Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Illaria - WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good. You might want to cut the light blue back a bit...closer to the shore. Not the aqua green, the light blue...it kind of goes out too far. IMO.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Ok, so after deciding I didnt like the general shape of the land, I redid the entire thing. I'm still not pleased with the rivers (maybe because rivers arent normally vissable at this scale), but thatll be next time. Also I changed the mountain slopes to grey from the brown. Oh and I realized that Ilaria is spelt with one L, not two
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilaria2wip.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	24456  

Fixed the rivers, found they were pretty easy to change

Name:	Ilaria2wip.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	24457  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Much better on the rivers. Nice looking map, just need some labels now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love the dark, vivid colors and the grunge look of this map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Brilliant map - the first version was looking good, but the redo is fantastic as well ^.^ Looks like you touched a bit on the Saderan tutorial? Great colors, and the shapes of the landmasses are awesome. If you still have a base for those land masses (just the exact shapes filled with a single color like white) you can copy that to a new layer and cut out the various nations. Place each shape for each nation on its own layer above the map, add an inner glow in an appropriate color (maybe the main color of the nation's flag, or something) and set each nation-shape layer (with the inner glow) to Multiply [if the shape color is white; if it's black you'll have to set it to Screen]. Since it's also the exact shape of the land (your land and water are on separate layers, right?) the only part of the selection you'll need to be careful with is the actual borders between nations/countries; you won't have to worry about the coastlines at all.

- Alizarine

P.S. you could also use a color overlay over each nation if you wanted the whole nation/country area to be one flat color; lower the opacity to let the geography show through. Of course, that could seriously detract from such a lovely map and would probably be better for more political-oriented map ^.^
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

nope, havent borrowed from saderans tut intentionally, as far as I know.

anyways, heres with labels as well as with alliances

Name:	Ilaria2wip_labeled.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	24517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilaria2wip_political.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	24518  

The colors are vivid and stunning, but my favorite feature of your map is the names that you have chosen. They are really quite beautiful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Agreed, the colors are beautiful, the names are great, as is the font. I really like the design of the oceans. The dark coloring is unusual, but looks great, especially along with the lighter coastlines. Some of the most interesting oceans I've seen.

Wow - the initial maps looked a bit like the Saderan tutorial, but you have really made this uniquely beautiful. I agree that the colors are vivid and gorgeous, and the names are lovely. The shapes of the land are so great and this map just looks stunning. Planning on any more labels? It looks so good right now I'm not sure if more labels would detract or add to it; I hope you plan on more maps like this - maybe some regional maps! Amazing work.

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast