Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map WIP

well I just answered my own question mostly... I decided (after uploading the image to Google Earth, and just seeing how it wraps and what not) that Image #1 I like the most, and that both Polar regions are mostly fine (maybe a little small in some areas so it super stretches) but in all it came together rather well. And while in Google Earth, I realized that if I was using earth dimensions for scale... the continent on the left would be the size of All of Eurasia... So from like the tip of Ireland to pretty much Indonesia would equal the length haha had a good laugh when I did that.... Anyways so I decided to scale it after mars, a much better fit if you ask me. That same continent is roughly the same size as the Americas.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I'm digging #1 also - good choice!

Alright so reworked the land thanks to the observations of Diamond (thanks again) so I'm back to the same point as before.

I realize that the image quality got dropped due to the size of the image (sorry about that) but I think I may play with oceans a little more, the vast ocean in the middle seems to sit a little funny to me seems to be darker than it should be... maybe thats just me and I've been looking at it too long.... Opinions?

Edit: So I just double checked my work (redid the process) and the shorelines are darker than normal, and does change it just enough. Still might try messing with the deeper ocean, but I'll wait for ideas first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	24298  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-01-2010 at 01:29 AM.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

So I've cut up the main continents to work on them, this is just a "test" I guess I wanted to get a few opinions on if these mountains & forest work, I think they are personally a bit TOO big, but this is suppose to be like the Himalayas, the continent is split into two plates converging together... so let me know! Thanks!

Name:	Continent3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	24315  
    Projects

I don't think it's necessarily too big, but since this is a continent, maybe those mountains could use more detail. Right now, they look to have too few offshoot ranges; it looks more like a small section of a larger whole. If that's continent size, it makes it looks as if you've got individual mountains that are three or four hundred miles wide.

Thanks for the Comments Diamond... So I messed around a little bit more, only did the right side of the continent, but I think I'm liking how this is turning out.

surprisingly I was able to save it and upload it in full resolution so tell me what you guys think!

Name:	Continent3#2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	24335  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-02-2010 at 04:36 AM.
    Projects

Yep, I'm liking that too. The mountains are looking much better; adding those lower peaks so the whole thing blends better really helped. The only thing I'd suggest is maybe lightening the color or opacity of the forests a little bit; they're extremely dark (at least on my monitor) right now.

Yep you are defenately on a right track here. And it's very good that your forest has a right scale and is not too large compared to the mountains (which happens quite easily and often). Repped.

@ Diamond thanks for the input on the forests, hopefully I lightened them up enough

@ Pasis, thanks! I was trying to get scale right in this one, big pain in the butt if you ask me, but hey seems to be paying off I think.

Anyways heres the latest update, not all the icons are placed, but I'm calling it a night, so tell me what you think!

I think I may of over did the amount of forests (actual "size" of the forests), and I may change the stroke on the icons, seems to be a bit strong... but do tell me what I can improve on, I'll be adding in rivers, and finishing up the icons.

Name:	Continent3#3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	24362  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-03-2010 at 04:16 AM.
    Projects

Now THAT is dead-on beautiful forest. Any chance of posting the pattern and/or method you used there?

The whole thing is really coming together and looking really good. Keep it up, and repped!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast