Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: World Map WIP

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, we're working with different software, so I'm not sure if photoshop has something that would work, but I'd try robA's wispy displace technique in Gimp (for the transition from ice to water). It's a displace map with the map set to a noise layer, 20x -20y then -20x 20y. Although what you have is decently wispy already, I think. A good test is to wrap it onto a sphere afterwards and see if it looks right. I've always found it so difficult to do the poles in an equi. projection that I usually give up and use a different one

hahah gotcha, but what if I did something like this? don't worry about the water, but yeah does that work better? (yet again done very quickly but yeah)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	894.2 KB 
ID:	24602  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Sorry for the double post But I think this last one will do it for me.

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	24605  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Ahhhh, yes. That's perfect, Yandor.

Thanks again Gidde for that advice, and I finished up the other cap as well using mostly the same technique (was rather hard since it was pure experimental, and didn't remember the steps =D) Anyways I was running through some of my old maps and found one in this similar style thought I'd go in again and save the styles for future use and use it on this world map here, whatcha think?

haha forgot to make the ocean coloring more "smooth" eh I'll fix it another time!

Name:	Paper World.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	24671  
    Projects

I'm not all that fond of the yellow, but I'll tell ya that pole stretching looks awesome. Your coastlines have just the right amount of fjord-type stuff, not too much, not too little. Looks very believable! I also like the coastline look you have there. It's a nice sturdy base; now lets see some elevation

Edit: My dislike of yellow is a general, personal dislike of the color yellow, if you like the color I see no logical reason not to keep it!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567