Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Empyreum - WIP

Blog Entries

Wip The Empyreum - WIP

Greetings!

As some of you might know, I joined the community in 2008 but vanished after just saying "hello" to you. Unfortunately, my computer crashed down(?) and after buying a new workstation and installing all the software I simply lost two thirds of my bookmarks. When I went over my notes of my ongoing story I found the link to this site again. So, yeah ... I'm back. : O

Please forgive the delay of nearly two years! I'll try to visit this site more often. But back to the topic: For a new story (something like the manga Bleach) I need to draw a map of the Empyreum, a continent where the Gods, titans, elves etc. live. Therefor I thought I could post my WIP here in order to show that I'm still alive (*cough* >.>) and to get some feedback. Unfortunately, it's already 01:00 am and the only thing I managed to finish for 'today' was the coastline. New pics will follow asap.

Oh, and as always: Please excuse my grammar because English isn't my native tongue. : )

Antheon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empyreum1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	504.8 KB 
ID:	24323
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Current projects: The Empyreum

Guild Member

Well, it's quite ... empty :-) But it's a good start. The texture looks cool, and the coastline too.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

welcome back!

The coastline looks good, hope to see more!

Blog Entries

silverhead: As I mentioned before, I quickly drew the coastline because I wanted to post 'something' but then I realized the time and thought: "Maybe I should just go to bed ..." So, yeah, it's quite empty at the moment but I'm sure that it will change soon enough. Thank you for the comment! : )

Rythal: Thank you! As for the coastline I draw the shape of the continent first, then I use clouds to create the edges. But I must admit that I found it easier in PS7 to adjust the contrast of a single layer than in CS3. Or maybe it's because I'm sleepy. Hm ... : /

So ... hm ... I couldn't sleep again ... after playing Dead Space for a while (O.o) I decided I could continue my little work but then I paused for a minute. I haven't decided the style of the map yet. All I knew was that I wanted to draw something so that the look could be reproduced easily for beginners. So I tried a semi-isometric style.

Name:	Empyreum2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	24330
    Note: I used cancerlads map symbols.

I let the forests two-dimensional and I like the outcome on the right side of the zoomed in image (near 'The Wall'-mountains) but then I changed my mind and tried something completely different instead. So this is what sleepy me got so far ...

Name:	empyreum3.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	24331

Still quite empty but I need some sleep first. Feedback is always welcome. : )

Antheon
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Good start. There's something that reminds me Disciples 3 style . Quite a dark map, I really like it. Keep up the good work and have some rep .

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like the second of the two maps above, and I agree with Raskat - it does remind me of Disciples.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

They are obviously very different styles, but both look great in my opinion. I think I prefer the first style though...you were definitely on to something there.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the sea in that second map; that looks awesome. Only gripe I have so far is that the more northern parts of the map seem to lose their texture depth; they look very flat compared to, say, the area below the volcanos(?).

Blog Entries

Thank you!

Raskat & Steel General:
    To my shame I have to admit that I had to google for 'Disciples' as I have never heart of this game (if it's the game that is ...) before. But what I've seen so far, the screenshots look quite interesting. : )

Soixante:
    That's why I uploaded this step as the style has something that meets the eye. Maybe I continue with it on another map. But for now I think I stick with the 'Disciples'-style and look how far I can get with it. However, it is good to know that you like this style. : D

Diamond:
    Thank you very much! I took me some time to get the look of the 'ocean'-layer right. So I'm glad that you like it. : )
    As for the northern part I had a reason for the flat look as this region is supposed to be the 'entrance' to the Shadow Realm where all living things return after their deaths. To give this area a certain look I decided to make that part flat and less colourful but I will redo it another time because I've got an idea. ; )
    Oh, btw. I think 'vulcano' is the wrong term. I would call them 'lava lakes' as they were created after the Gods extinguished the Archons with great meteors which tore(?) the land and 'let it bleed' for all eternity. I hope you know what I want to say because it's hard to explain the story behind this map in detail with my little vocabulary ... : (

Topic:
    I thought I would've been able to work on this map but the babies decided that they need someone to play with. So all I could do for now are minor changes. Though I might rethink the proportions of the hills as they look too big for a continent scale. Hm ... : /

Name:	empyreum4.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	24341

So, what's next? Fixing the problem with the hills, creating mountains and continue drawing the rivers and lakes. Yupp, that sounds like a plan to me!
    Last edited by Antheon; 05-02-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Fixing some typos. : /

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks very good! Is the sea layer some kind of plastic filter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast