Thread: How to TRACE in CC3

Default How to TRACE in CC3

I need help. Seems like it should be a simple task but for the life of me I can't figure it out and I think I'm about to lose my mind.

Specifically, the tutorial for "fantasy realms" where it discusses how to draw a mountain, but I think it really should apply to tracing anything like a shoreline or a what have you. The instructions in CA26 Mapping Guide-Fantasy Realms state:
    Start by selecting Mountain Spine. Draw the main ridge for your
    mountain group. Next select the Mountain Base drawing tool. Draw
    the footprint of your mountain group. Note that edge of the base
    touches each end of the spine path. The width of the mountains is
    not a calculation. Simply, it is as wide as you want to suit your map.

Next, we’ll draw the shading. Select the Mountain
    Shading
    drawing tool. Start at one end of your mountain
    spine. Click to start the tool then use the tool’s Trace
    function to trace the spine and then trace the outer edge of
    the base. Looking at the diagram of our example, we'd start
    the drawing tool at A, select B to trace, then start the trace
    at A and end the trace at C. We’d then start a new trace at
    C, select D to trace, trace the edge of the base along D and
    end the trace and the tool at A. This will shade our
    mountain group.
    So I draw the spine. The I draw the footprint. Now I want to trace the spine and one half of the footprint for the purposes of shading. So I select the "mountain shading" tool, then select the "endpoint" button and click on the end of the spine. This attaches a line to to the end of the spine. Next I want to click further down the spine so my line traces it and then continue to it's other endpoint and the around the outside of one side of the footprint and finishing off back where I started. Problem is it doesn't trace anything and only makes a big ugly fractal line and eventual polygon that isn't a trace. Seems to me there should be a sort of "magic wand" effect where the line hugs the existing line...

I see in the Command box the instructions:
    Next point: (DEL - back, Space - Randomize, L/R Arrows - Depth, U/D Arrows - Strength, T - Trace):
    but have now idea how to utilize it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

This tutorial I wrote (though it deals with Political borders, DOES use the TRACE tool) should help you out:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Borders-in-CC3

Basically, to do the TRACE, MOUSE down to the COMMAND BAR AFTER you started the line and simply type "T.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 05-02-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I woke up super excited to give this a whirl, but despite the simplicity with which this appears to be performed based on both the instructions that come with the FR Annual as well as NeonKnight's wonderful tutorial, I STILL cannot get it. This is how I felt when people were trying to teach me how to roller skate backwards. I just don't get it.

At what point do I type 'T' in the Command Box? What should happen to indicate the trace command is working? No matter what I do it either continues to make a fractal line without tracing or backs out of the line creation entirely.

Perhaps someone could show me where exactly I'm messing up. Like I said in the OP, I'm trying to create mountains using the method in Fantasy Realms (the kind from 3e forgotten realms) though I assume the tracing method here is identical to tracing a coastline or river for the purposes of making a political map.

1. First, I click the TERRAIN DEFAULT - MOUNTAIN SHADING tool. (In NK's tutorial it would be the BORDER DEFAULT tool).
    2. Now I want to begin my line. First I click the ON button (so it will attach to the edge of the poly) and select the edge of the mountain's footprint, thus beginning my line.
    3. At this point the Command Box says, "DEL - back, Space - Randomize, L/R Arrows - Depth, U/D Arrows - Strength, T - Trace". I assume this is where I should begin my trace.

4. So I move my mouse to the Command Box and type 'T' (capitalized and without quotations and without hitting ENTER). There are no changes to my line which still only has the beginning of what I want to trace.
    4a. If I simply select the next spot along the footprint I want to trace and click the left mouse button, it places the next point of my line, but there's just a big ugly fractal line (that didn't trace anything).
    4b. If I type T then select the ON button again (to continue attaching it to the coastline) it completely backs out of the line creation.
    4c. A lower case 't' or putting it in quotations does nothing and hitting ENTER after typing the T also completely backs out of the line creation.

5. At any time during the "tracing" (even though it sure doesn't look like it's tracing) I right-click to complete my line, it makes just a big ugly fractal polygon (didn't trace).

Thank you very much for trying to help me.

OK, so you have most of it
    1. First, I click the TERRAIN DEFAULT - MOUNTAIN SHADING tool. (In NK's tutorial it would be the BORDER DEFAULT tool). CRRECT
    2. Now I want to begin my line. First I click the ON button (so it will attach to the edge of the poly) and select the edge of the mountain's footprint, thus beginning my line.CORRECT
    3. At this point the Command Box says, "DEL - back, Space - Randomize, L/R Arrows - Depth, U/D Arrows - Strength, T - Trace". I assume this is where I should begin my trace.
    CORRECT
    4. So I move my mouse to the Command Box and type 'T' (capitalized and without quotations and without hitting ENTER). There are no changes to my line which still only has the beginning of what I want to trace.Mistake on my part, I am now using version 6.20.0

4a: After Clicking T, it will ask for the point you wish to start from. Click again, on the entity where you would like to start, and it will start tracing (you SHOULD see a whitish line cover the line/path where you are now tracing.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Still doesn't work despite following the instructions to a tee (har har har)...

4a: After Clicking T, it will ask for the point you wish to start from. Click again, on the entity where you would like to start, and it will start tracing (you SHOULD see a whitish line cover the line/path where you are now tracing.
    After I type T it does not ask me for the point I wish to start from. As a matter of fact, NOTHING happens when I type T. Just a black capital T immediately following the instructions: Next Point: (DEL - back, Space - Randomize, L/R Arrows - Depth, U/D Arrows - Strength, T - Trace):

If I hit ENTER after typing the T the Command Box reverts to Command [DRAWTOOLSP]:

I really appreciate your help NeonKnight. I've been tinkering with CC3 for over a year now and have gotten by without a trace feature. I suppose I can always continue to make due without it...

Hmmmm....And you have updated to the newest patch?