Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Temple experiment

I will PM you a link to the full version so you can download it. I'm not sure what the deal is here though but this is my first time working all these little details out.

Also, I plan to add quite a bit more detail in the form of rubbish and overturned stools, etc. I am thinking I might bust in through the wall of the alter room a bit and have some vines going around near the pool area because I'm thinking after 1000 years the plants would find that. Anything else let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

*g* I didn't read this as I answered your PM. Funny that we both think alike what would help the overall feeling of the map...

No kidding. The site was down when we left but I was able to print your message out via my email account. From the sound of it I thought you had read this before you wrote that. It is nice to be on the same page when working with someone on a project. From experience I know that it is not always how things work out.

Looking forward to digitizing some of the results when I get back next week.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Ok, I've done some updates but held of posting anymore on the WIP until I verified with Stryke that it was ok or not. He has said it will be fine to continue posting here because the comments are usually helpful. This being my first VTT I will continue to post here so that others might be able to "save me" in case I start going off the deep end.

There have been a couple changes requested:
    - The entry garden area with the stairs leading up to the main door has been removed. Players will enter by falling in through an opening in the roof. I will have to do something to indicate that area but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    -The main door is filled with tree roots and vines.
    -Tree roots and vines have breached the Southwest wall of the Alter room near the pool area and made their way into the room.

I have also removed the doors to create .png files of them so they can be placed on the map as manipulatable objects. <-- this means they can be opened by GM. Maybe by players if they are set up for it, not sure on that tho.
    I have included the first Reinforced doorway and my version of a secret door. (Mainly so Stryke can test them out. When I'm finished I will see about putting them all in a pack for anyone who might be interested.)
    I am not sure how secret doors work in a VTT -> Do I create the map with a section of wall that is "visible" and a secret door "Hidden" and these are flip flopped? If anyone knows please fill me in.)
    I have to finish the double set of doors for the Alter room.
    I still have to add a bunch of debris.

Useful C&C appreciated.

I did this as a jpeg because I could drop the detail down to 85% and for some reason it came out way smaller....my file size on this bad boy is now around 7 MB and I'm thinking I may need to do something about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TempleMods.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	895.7 KB 
ID:	24948  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-19-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: one last concern

For those who don't know, portrait images can be linked into Maptools so the players can see them when they view objects. I felt like doing a few as I created the map to help me along so here it is.

Here is a portrait of the Double Doors leading into the Alter room. It looks a tad blurry so I may need to tweak it a bit and perhaps darken the background more.
    The second image is the Alter and Statue view as you face them walking in through the doors.

Stryke if you have any other ideas for the doors or whatever let me know, these are pretty easy to whip up. Alternatively, these don't have to be used at all.

Name:	DblDoorPortrait.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	24970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlterPortrait.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	24971  

Ok, I've been kinda dragging lately from work so haven't done much but I have dirtied it up a bit, added some refuse, a few odds n ends. My favorite is probably the Lair which I think looks particularly ominous, muahaha, anything could come outta there.

The brighter area with the leaves on the floor is the area where the PC's will "fall" in.

Views:	88 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	25150  

I think this is almost done. Unless there are tweaks Stryke would like or things I think of (or any you guys come up with).

I am loading up an image with the doors in place so you can get a feel for what it looks like when it's all set.

On a side note, I don't know how the secret doors will work in the VTT so not sure if they will work.

Name:	TempleWdoors.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	25616  

Well, I'm not sure what's happened to Stryke. I hope all is well with him. There are only a few objects I added like a fire pot (lit & unlit) that can be used as a light source and fits nicely in the alter room on those stands near the door.

I don't know how secret doors work in a VTT and whether or not I should create what looks like a regular wall to be shown until the secret door is detected? If I had to guess I'd say I do need too create the wall for those areas but I'm not sure how the VTT handles that.

If I don't hear from Stryke at some point I guess I'll just roll a finished version of everything out so whoever wants to use it can. I sure hope he's alright, last I heard one of his kids was not feeling well

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

For secret doors it's usually best just to leave it as a wall, with a label that shows where the secret door is on a GM version of the map. Any other approach risks showing up where the door is by a slight hint and the players will spot it.

Looking really good!

Thank you Torstan! I have filled in the openings where Secret doors were intended and these will no be up to the GM to set I guess.

Here is the updated version. I include the Firepots, Reinforced Door (this one may need to be re-sized) and Secret Door images. I will post the Double doors to the alter room next.

Views:	139 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	25934  
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast