Thread: ...import CAD floor plans and texture them?

Guild Applicant

Help ...import CAD floor plans and texture them?

Is there a single tool that will let me:

1) import a floorplan from a .png (12 to Midnight produces lovely CAD-style floorplans)
    2) do a textured fill for the floor in various rooms
    3) either stamp or drag and drop photo-real .pngs like the ones that come with Dundjinni for furniture and objects
    4) do a fill with photo-real .pngs in case I need to populate a forest or something

The goal is to provide a battlemat that is also a somewhat immersive experience, hence the desire for realistic-looking stuff.

It seems like I can do 2 and 3 with Dundjinni.

I could do 1 and 2 with Photoshop or GIMP, but I don't know how to import textures.

ALL of these seem like they could be done in CC3, but I have no idea how to even start using that and I want to make a map by Thursday. Plus the symbols don't seem to be very realistic.

If this is all covered in a single post somewhere, I apologize. I searched some, but because all these terms show up everywhere, it's hard to find.

Thanks!

chatty

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Putting patterns into PS is easy once you get used to it.
    1. Run Ps.
    2. Open the picture you want to use as a pattern.
    3. Click Edit - Define Pattern.
    4. Done.

I'm not sure how Gimp works but I would assume it to be just as easy. I also think that you can add to the collection of patterns for DJ so putting more patterns in that would seem like the way to go so that way you can do 2,3,4 from your list. I have no idea what CC3 can do but I'm sure those who know will stop by and tell ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

One single tool then I would bet that Xara can do all these things but I would break the process up into getting your filled in floor + texture right as a big PNG file and then secondly. populating all the movable stuff and trees and so on with the drag and drop bitmap thing. Because the first is a bitmap editing job and PS, Gimp, Xara, PSP etc will all do that with ease and then the second use a stamp tool or a VTT. Dundjinni, my ViewingDale, MapTool, DungeonForge, FractalMapper, CC3 and so on will do that easier than with layers on any kind of bitmap editor.