Thread: One of my first maps..

Default One of my first maps..

I've dabbled in map making before, but never independently. With the help of some tutorials, I managed to construct a map from scratch (somewhat). I'm pretty glad at the outcome. Basic "piece" of a continent I suppose, as I imagine this is only a small part of a wider world... the orange like lines are roads; Independent towers represent forts, while forts with houses represent capitals. Basically, the more "houses" the larger the city. the yellow pieces represent the rivers, although this continent mostly has one wide river, mostly to spurn conflict between the two nations. However controls the central plateau and river valley can essentially dominate transport through the continent, currently under the control of the Church, which rules from it's Holy City on the southern island. Enjoy; I had a lot of fun making this, so maybe I can make some better ones in the future...

http://j.imagehost.org/0411/RPGMap.png

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild, DrakeRlugia!

I like the color of the background and the land layer. It reminds me of the maps from old games I used to play. It definitely has this nostalgic feeling and that's a pretty shape for a first map. May I ask which software you used for the map? : )

Antheon
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Current projects: The Empyreum

I started the map in Paint.net to generate the landmass and the ocean, and also did some layering to create the basic colors. I later converted it over to Photoshop Elements Seven to finish it up with some Map brushes to add in the mountains, forests, roads, ect. I applied a grain layer to give it the paper like feel to finish it off. (:

Blog Entries

You used PS Elements? Somehow I can never imagine someone using PS Elements for mapping purposes but then it isn't the 'little brother' for nothing. I suppose you used the mouse for drawing? Maybe you want to try paths (Does Elements support paths? I really don't know ... : O ) or a graphic tablet for future drawings. Looking forward to see more 'pieces' of this (or another) world and the story (history, politics etc.) behind them. : )

Antheon
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Current projects: The Empyreum