Thread: Smattering of old maps ca. 1981-1989

Default Smattering of old maps ca. 1981-1989

Here are just a very few of the kajillion maps I made from about 11 yrs old through my younger teen years and even my first digital maps!! I can't believe i still have these. I notice one has a reference to Darokin from D&D's Mystara module.. never played but i liked that world map.

Most were made the old fashioned way with pencil and paper and there are a couple forms to show how i kept track of populations etc.. i changed them as i grew the cities so often the paper would wear through from erasing. That one form (last attach.) was made from rub on decals and what i though was a "finepoint" back then... boy was I proud of that hideous form LOL!!

These weren't for show but for my own enjoyment.. and i have notebooks and loose sheets of them stashed all over... as well as rolled up giant size and ever expanding graph paper maps i would lay on and draw for hours. Many have gone missing but I have enough to go through and muse at from time to time. Keeps me in touch with the roots of my mapping passion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	787.3 KB 
ID:	24361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150001.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	24360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	24359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	318.6 KB 
ID:	24358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	24357  

Last edited by a2area; 05-03-2010 at 01:41 AM.

I forgot to add.. never in all my years of mapping have I ever included one golf course and was vehemently against them. They always looked so inviting and I resented not being able to use them as parks. In fact, they were often outlawed in my cities (0: Lots of malls and airports though!
    Last edited by a2area; 05-03-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

omg, did you do some of those digital maps before I was even born, in 1986!? That is so far out, dude! :O

Yes, yes. I was that kid too. LMAO nostalgically.

The day I discovered that wave fill you could use for oceans I was in heaven. Did you also make dungeons by filling the screen with black then erasing cave complexes, corridoors and rooms?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh man... that brings back some memories. When I was kid back in the misty twilight of the late 70s and early 80s, I used to get these big white pieces of poster-board and draw massive world maps on them. Sadly though, they all got lost and misplaced as the years passed.

Thanks for posting these; it's nice to see that I wasn't the only mapaholic child out there.