Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May Lite Challenge: Tavern of the Delfolk

Default April/May Lite Challenge: Tavern of the Delfolk

The Order of Delfolk Monks have been making Delfolk Pale Ale for more than five centuries. Using a pale barley malt and a top-fermenting yeast, these halfling monks have crafted a deliciously bitter yet smooth pale ale that is just now becoming known outside the local region. The ale is brewed in the back room of the Tavern of the Delfolk which is located on the Delfolk Monastery grounds not far from the town of Limmelton on Hogshead Road. The monks grow their own barley and hops (which give the Delfolk Pale Ale its bitter flavour) and allow the ale to ferment a second time while being stored in specially crafted black-walnut kegs. This gives the ale a foamy head and quite a kick. Delfolk Pale Ale has been known to put down a seasoned dwarf after only three mugs.

With the recent demand for their product, the monks have had to add seating for larger folk who are interested in their pale ale. Since the tavern was built with a ceiling only five feet tall, human seating is limited to the porch, and food and drink are brought out to the patrons by a serving monk. There are plans in the works to enclose the porch area before winter arrives giving human customers a place of solace from the cold rain and wind.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Last edited by Map Vandal; 10-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.

looking pretty cool MV! love the handdrawn stuff, you make this look so easy. only thing I see is that the kitchen looks kinda modern in my opinion ... cheers!

So there I was, thinking I might do a Hafling themed tavern, but you beat me to it! It's all good though, I'm liking this so far, and probably need to take a break from the challenges anyhow. I have so many other projects that are falling by the wayside . . .

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

It's good, but I agree that the kitchen is a little modern. It did remind me, however, that I need a kitchen in my own tavern. What are the two large protuberances at the "south" of the tavern?
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Thanks for the comments and critiques. I have made a few changes; let me know what you think of them. I modified the kitchen to be less modern by removing the ranges and inserting a stove, table, woodpile, and wooden counter/cutting surface. I also modified the two fireplaces on the south wall to hopefully make them look more like fireplaces. In addition, I added some floor highlights to make the floor look more like the water color effect I was going for in the grass.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Last edited by Map Vandal; 10-24-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Still looking good. The changes you made fall in line better, and do a better job of promoting the overall style of the map. The only question I have is . . . After drinking all that ale, where do the patrons go if they need to, you know, "go?"

GW

P.S. Also, not sure if it is intentional or just a type-o, but you have, in the brewery area, "Draff Filters" instead of "Draft Filters"
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 05-04-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Thanks GW. Since the monks are a simple people, they do not have indoor plumbing and anyone who has to go, uses the outhouse (not shown).

I did intend to use "draff". Water and malted barley go into the tun and the mixture is heated with steam from the boiler. When the brew leaves the tun, it goes through a series of filters to the boiler where hops are added. These filters catch the dregs of the malted pale-barley husks, otherwise known as draff. This draff is scraped off the filters and removed from the building out the north door. It makes a very high quality animal feed and is used by the monks to feed their goats.

Well then, that explains it, and all is good in the world of hafling beer brewers once more.

GW
    GW

I like the hand drawn look you have here, it's great.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member

I agree the hand drawn stuff looks great. Thanks for the background on the beer process that's really neat. It adds to the realism. Maybe the barrels can be stored in a basement?

Rigg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast