3 5.17%
  • Zar Peter - Muggeria

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *** April 2010 Challenge Voting - Brewhome ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post *** April 2010 Challenge Voting - Brewhome ***

Let's get ready to rumblllllleeeeee......

This month's challenge was to make a world map with at least one continent fleshed out with detail. There were to be certain cities included on the map: Heimmaerr, Thorsgrimm, Hallowdwelf, and Burdisson Brewery for the dwarves; at least one elf city/town, and at least one human port city with some extra smaller towns, and some villages for ogres. There had to be at least 13 interesting places to visit so other names were up to the cartographer. If you read the links provided on the deviant art page or website of the sponsor you would have also found names for a few other places that were included in the stories: Liverton, Mallowhedge, Freyhurst, Boar's Head, and Poorsgate. You would also have found the name of the mountain range where the dwarves live...Northpeak Range. Thus there was a little bit of homework to do but it was not mandatory so maps not including these extra places should not be graded down.

To view the entrants' maps, click here.

Remember, vote for three (3).

If you can't be with the ones you rep,
    rep the ones you're with.
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-03-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is another tough vote. I went with RobA and GW for sure. There was a toss up between Imm, DJ, ZP, and the newcomer Caly. ZP's looks fun and thought out and interesting...if I gamed I'd like to play there. Imm's looks fun and light-hearted. Caly's would look nice as a cover or poster. DJ's would look nice as a wall map or cloth map for a video game so I went with him for my third choice. DN, Sap, and SG are unfinished but I'd love to see them finished. Cer's I just couldn't read, probably just an image size issue so I'm sure it's legible at a larger size. All in all, this was a great competition with everyone bringing something different to the game. Good job y'all.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good glory thats a super tough vote, Good luck everyone!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Blog Entries

Welp, I voted for Cereth and Calydon and pulled the trigger before reading the part about voting for three. Cereth's was a happy, chaotic good kind of map. Calydon was more neutral good, but it was such a solid effort from a newcomer that I felt it really deserved my vote. Had I realized that i had three, I would have had to decide between Ascension and RobA, both of which were technical masterpieces and beautifully done. I loved some of the classic Djekspek that Djekspek put in his map, but I think he's still looking for his mark in the satellite view map. I think a hybrid overhead view with strong 3/4 perspective elements would have made his piece unbeatable.

I managed to rep everyone who competed except Djekspek before the rep fairy took away my keys and called a cab for me. I had to leave him for last because I'd repped him too recently. I'll catch you on the back side bro.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

It was again a hard decision. My votes went to RobA, Ascension and Calydon. But the rest of the maps were great, too.
    My timetable should become less dense in the next weeks, so I hope I can participate in a challenge and finish it the next time. My Centralia map is still on the 'To Do' list, even if I might drop the beer theme when I go for finishing the map.
    Congrats to all cartographers who produced such fine maps!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I really wish that the uncompleted ones could have been competed - there were some great starts in there (Sapiento's for example - those are some very hot mountains drawn in there!).

Took me awhile to decide, I opened each in a browser window and went through each until I'd closed all but three. Excellent work by everyone who entered, I wish i could have! (but being on vacation for the first week and needing to spend time with the wife, and then coming home to three commissions at the same time plus one offering extra work beyond the map.. no way I could have found time to do this as well).

Looks like I'm going to need to strike a deal with the rep fairy

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well, my first vote was a fairly easy one. Although I actually liked the less colorful version better, RobA's map definitely fit the bill as something I'd expect to see in a gazetteer. It got a little tougher after that, but one map that really stood out for me because of the way it matured was ZPs. He'd started with something very tongue-in-cheekish, but by the time he'd finished, it looked plausible while still holding a bit of the original fun. After that, it took a while. All the remaining maps, even those that weren't finished, looked great. Ascension, DJ and SG, as usual, banged things out with great color and textures. As a "new comer," calydon showed he was ready to run with the big dogs in these challenges, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of his work. And Cereth's map, as mentioned earlier, looked fine as well, but was a bit difficult to read, and Ascension probably hit the nail on the head with it being an image size issue. For some reason, though, Immolate's map just kept catching my eye. Maybe it was because the artistry was a bit eccentric and/or over the top (both in good ways, mind you) or maybe it was something else. I don't know what it was about that map, but whatever it was, it garnered my third vote.

Great job on everyone's part. All of this month's maps are rep worthy, so it's off to swing the bat and spread some joy!

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Congratz to all those who entered...

Greason Wolfe, RobA & Calydon (no particular order) got my votes.

I wish I had been able to more fully 'flesh' my entry out. It was tough even getting it to where it currently is, my 'mapping muse' seems to have a pulse - but it's "weak and thready"
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn good mapping.. and beer... My votes went to RobA, Ascension and Calydon - but they were all cool entries.. and I'll promise to rep as soon as I get my sword of repping back from Arcana

Just a quick thought here . . .

We should probably REP PlayinItCool for sponsoring this month's challenge. I know I will be, once I get my bat back.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast