Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank You Cartographer's Guild

Wip Thank You Cartographer's Guild

I've had a style in mind for my campaign world maps for quite a while, but I've struggled to actually create them so far. I only found this website a few weeks ago, but the tutorials have helped me to get so much closer to what I want in such a short amount of time.

The style I want is essentially that of a colored in woodcut. I'm still experimenting with the ink lines and the ratio between the different lines used for features of different types. Here's what I have so far.

Hey, Helium: Welcome to the Guild. We're glad to have you (you're OURS now!!!!)

That post looks great, just great! Hopefully you've found the S. John Ross maps in our resources section--he, to my mind, uses the woodcut style to its best effect for medieval (or fantasy) maps.

Keep posting your progress, I'd love to see your maps & pick your brain as to how you do that voodoo that you'll do so well!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I do so like that woodcut style. Very nice job so far!

Be sure to keep us well updated on your progress--that's a style I'd like to use for a project in the near future, so the more input you get, the better my map will be! hee hee.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    That post looks great, just great! Hopefully you've found the S. John Ross maps in our resources section--he, to my mind, uses the woodcut style to its best effect for medieval (or fantasy) maps.
    It was his tutorial that clued me in to how to get the effect I was going for. That and downloading the GIMP. The process I'm using is a bit different from his and there are some effects I'm still trying to figure out. I'll post the details once they're nailed down.

Wip Campaign Map, Step 2

Added color for the land and sea. I was going to use a couple of different colors for the sea, but decided that didn't look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by helium3 View Post
    It was his tutorial that clued me in to how to get the effect I was going for. That and downloading the GIMP. The process I'm using is a bit different from his and there are some effects I'm still trying to figure out. I'll post the details once they're nailed down.
    Hey Helium!

Nice effect there! Please share on your technique. I couldn't duplicate his results in GIMP because it doesn't seem to have that "bitmap as halftone" function....but I did come up with my own technique I have been meaning to write up as a tutorial that involves the newsprint filter and displacement maps...

Actually, it's a combination of gimp and inkscape. Essentially, I use gimp to make the coastline, put down an airbrushed layer of black along the coastline in a lower layer, then fill in below that with the ocean pattern. Then I save it as a .png and import it into Inkscape. Once that's done I do a bitmap trace and then simplify the whole thing. That's pretty much it.

Also, I decided to re-jigger the map a bit because I needed to use thinner line strokes for the land features, which looked really wonky with the thick lines used for the coast and sea.

Made changes to the pattern that makes up the sea feature, added the Gam Jo River and started penning in the Tallwall Mountains.
    Last edited by helium3; 10-09-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Added in the rest of the Tallwall mountains. My next task is to figure out how to shade them and fill them with color in a way that matches the style of the rest of the map.

I also need to work on that lake, since it doesn't match the ocean for some reason.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast