Thread: Ginkaimura

Map Ginkaimura

Yet more experimentation for my upcoming L5R campaign. Part of it will be taking place on a mostly unaligned archipelago off the coast of the Rokugan. Not very happy with the waves on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ginkaimura.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	24458  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The deal with the waves is that they are not as affected by the piers as you have drawn. Remember that the piers are on posts that are sunk into the soil below the water. Therefore the waves hitting the area are only hitting the posts and not the whole dock. Put the waves by the shores and maybe some tiny ringlets around the posts...ringlets optional.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ahh, that makes sense, I'll need to fix that. The boats though, I assume they break the waves up as though they were solid wall or something?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Boats would get ringlets as well. The surf is caused by a wave motion that when it hits shallower waters begins to topple over and forms a tube or pipe. Think of a skyscraper on wheels moving around but when it hits a curb the top falls over, but then the wheels make it over the curb and keeps on moving around and then pushes up over the fallen-over part which, in turn, gets sucked up into the flow creating the tube. The boat doesn't extend down to the seafloor so it has little effect on the wave motion of the surf...it just has ripples on the surface and some spray.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Like the colour palette. I like the line drawing look of the decking and buildings. I am confused by the small bevel/emboss style buildings in the square.
    I think it is okay to mix styles in some situations but I am not sure about those buildings in this case.

What does it look like without the waves? Maybe you could go for a really simple look in the water with the waves implied rather than stated.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..