Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Eredane. Home made version of Midnight RPG's world

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Wip WIP - Eredane. Home made version of Midnight RPG's world

Hi everybody,
    After a while sneaking around, asking tons of questions about how to do this and that, I found the courage to openly post a WIP.
    I first want to thank all the guys I've annoyed with my questions and hope I'm a good listener and that the maps I'm going to show will give them credit.

Fantasy Flight Games made a map for their game, Midnight, which is really nice, obviously. (http://wiki.rpg.net/images/1/14/Eredane-Map-2E.gif). But I just wanted to make one more traditional, which could be the start of a global map about the world of Midnight, which has other continents not developped by FFG. Since I'm not quite sure about what style to use for such a big project, I just picked one of the 3 styles I'd like to master and give it a try.
    Enough talk, here is the "first" step. Not quite the very 1st, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments since the style is very commun in here

Just for infos:
    The original map is 4700X3700 and weights 350Mo, 15 layers, so far...

Any comments are welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eredane-1-1600.jpg 
Views:	2156 
Size:	508.1 KB 
ID:	24468  

Looks great so far!

Overall I like it so far. One thing I would suggest however is to break up the forests/trees a bit. It is difficult to make out the individual trees within this dense mass. Also, your map seems to be dominated by the dark green mass. Breaking up the trees a bit would, I think, help to make for a more balanced looking map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice style. I love the parchment look you've put together here; what sort of texture did you use? My only suggestions, really more of a curiousity, might be to lighten up the lines around the coast. Making them more subtle and allowing the color difference between the land and sea to be more apparent along the coast might produce a nice result.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Arsheesh and Natai hit on what I was going to say: forests and coastal rings. For the forests, well since this is a compressed image, the full-scale one might show more detail. Maybe try lightening the color a bit?

And I fully agree with Natai about the rings.

And repped for posting your first WIP!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really nice map - I do think that it looks like the forest is as it should be but only "clashes" since the map is reduced in size, I can see the tiny holes in there Love the colors, or lack there of, it has a nice used look. I hit thee with my sword +2 of cool repping for your first map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Overall I like it so far. One thing I would suggest however is to break up the forests/trees a bit. It is difficult to make out the individual trees within this dense mass. Also, your map seems to be dominated by the dark green mass. Breaking up the trees a bit would, I think, help to make for a more balanced looking map.
    -Arsheesh
    This is something I should indeed do. It will make more room as well for adding special places. Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Arsheesh and Natai hit on what I was going to say: forests and coastal rings. For the forests, well since this is a compressed image, the full-scale one might show more detail. Maybe try lightening the color a bit?
    And I fully agree with Natai about the rings.
    And repped for posting your first WIP!
    The rings of the waves do contrast too much with the rest. I'll something about this, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Really nice map - I do think that it looks like the forest is as it should be but only "clashes" since the map is reduced in size, I can see the tiny holes in there Love the colors, or lack there of, it has a nice used look. I hit thee with my sword +2 of cool repping for your first map
    There is a big difference between low resol and high resol versions, indeed. I believe/hope that breaking up the forest a bit will help that.

Thanks for the comments guys, it helps. And for the 1st WIP/ map, it makes me feeling not alone in the wild

Guild Member

And you call this "a WIP"? My WIPs don't look like this even when finished :-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

About the only thing that I can think of is that the forest looks too solid and really dominates the image. I'd chop some holes into the forest to break it up or maybe make some "arm" type things. Looks great, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Not bad so far! I can't add anything that others haven't already added - but I will say it reminds me a lot of my Mercenaries map (The New Empire). Great texturework going on too

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast