Thread: Nenoria World Map

Map Koar World Map

So, this is my first post on here, but one of the folks over at Obsidian Portal suggested I post the map I made for my recently concluded D&D game on here for folks to look at. This map was composed in PhotoShop based upon several much simpler predecessors. I drew it mostly by hand using a Wacom tablet, with selective use of the cloning stamp tool for repetitive details, which I think worked out fairly well. The most questionable part for me was the hand lettering, which isn't consistently legible, but I chose to keep it for a more authentic feel.

Comments and criticisms are encouraged.

(Edit: Added a simple map border, and adjusted the map lines to match.)

Last edited by ChainsawXIV; 03-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.

That looks really nice, I like the choice of colours and overall style. Could use a border but I like borders on everything. As for the hand lettering, I've begun favouring it lately myself and have started doing it on most of my maps. I think it looks fine.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Holy smokes, is that whole thing done by hand? That's looks really cool! I like the trees and especially the subtle road network, that's a really nice touch.
    The only thing I don't like is the text, which is a little intelligible at places, and (correct me if I'm wrong) seems to have been done with a low opacity brush, so wherever strokes overlap is darker than the rest.
    But other than that, this map is tremendously awesome. Nice job!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it looks really good - I like the handlettering, and the colors. Very nice work - repped
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the hand-drawn "vibe" it has, the font and color scheme are quite nice as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments and feedback! I really like the idea of a border (I'm not sure why I didn't think about it before, in fact), and may well sneak in and add one, even though this map is ostensibly finished.

Aside from the subtle paper and grunge textures, this was all done by hand on one level or another. I did make custom brushes out of individual trees and mountains though, after drawing a variety of them, to speed things along in that department. By mixing these cloned elements with a few unique ones for more landmark locations, I was able to fill out my forests and mountain ranges with a more reasonable amount of work, without having any obvious repetition.

Beautiful map - I really like this hand drawn style. I think the lettering looks good too, but agree with Daelin that making the text more opaque would clear it up a bit. I'll rep you if I can!
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Hey Chainsaw, sorry I somehow missed your post! I'm glad that you decided to post this after all. Really great job on this, and here's my contribution to your rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I missed this the first time around as well. I like it, it's very clean yet descriptive. Have some rep!

Ooops, I missed it also. No criticism. Good work! Rep!