Thread: Eldabrass (a work in progress)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Eldabrass (a work in progress)

This is my first attempt at world mapping, Im working from the inside out as im DMing a fantasy game in which a side quest of my characters is they where hired to draw accurate maps of the world. the way it works is i describe the world as we go and they map it. then as they turn in their maps to NPCs i will add them to my world map. we play every other week so i hope to update twice a month as well. since this is going to take a long time to finish I figured I would post my map as I go to improve my ability as I go through suggestions and constructive criticism.

The Mountains and the Forest were both Brushes that other guild members have posted in the mapping elements section.
    The Grass and City are original patterns that I drew

Questions so far:

1) anyone know of a good way to draw Ice, or a frozen tundra rather, my thoughts where to draw in some white that wasn't completely opaque but its not looking right yet. maybe a pattern that would work well underneath?

2) I also cant seem to draw a pattern that works well for water, I will keep attempting. but is there a good technique besides drawing one by hand that you may know of?

Notes: Im using photoshop CS4, I dont have a sketch pad so im drawing with a mouse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eldabrass.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	24483  

This is a great looking map - looking forward to more! And using a mouse for this? Fantastic job; you must have plenty of patience ^.^ If you're looking for patterns/textures you should check out ,cgtextures, 2textured, and spiralgraphics for starters. Spiral Graphics in particular is great - they have a program that lets you generate textures and give you great control of those textures. You can, of course, just download pre-made textures, but it's nice to have more control over them ^.^ Try using masks too to mess with the textures' opacity levels without actually erasing the texture. & Don't forget to try the layer modes like overlay, screen, soft light, &c. - they can really make a difference.

Really liking this so far, and good luck with that campaign!

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

If you look at the tutorials section I know you will find plenty of information on how to make water. I use the Gimp but the idea is pretty much the same and in RobA's tutorial it explains how to use noise and multiple layers to create a water effect....just keep beating on it and blurring it till it looks how you want it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

actually they way you explained with layers is exactly how im doing this, tho i have not messed with layer modes yet. ill peruse around and get some ideas for the water here and see what i come up with

also the quality dropped big time when i exported to .jpg, the next map i put up ill make sure has the full detail