Thread: [WIP] - Lularcatten, a dwarven fortress and its surrounding area.

Wip [WIP] - Lularcatten, a dwarven fortress and its surrounding area.

I originally started this thread here, but I don't think anyone ever looks at the general & miscellaneous section, so I'm moving it here This work was inspired by the dwarf fortress lite challenge from a while ago, and since I'm somewhat idiotic, I've been spending all this working *still* working on the overland map. Havn't even started the actual fortress yet I thought it would be fun to do an isometric map, but it turns out doing hills in iso perspective is somewhat challenging. This particular image shows the work I've done so far, along with some of the reference images I'm using laid down on top. And yes, it's a stupid amount of detail to put on this, but with the amount of work I've already done on all this, it would really be disappointing if I didn't finish it up properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lularcatten.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	24502  

Looks pretty cool, if you ask me, so did you ever play an ASCII game called Dwarf Fortress? or was this simply off that dwarf fortress lite challenge?
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Doh! Yeah Yandor, I completely forgot to mention, this fortress was designed in Dwarf Fortress. What I've done so far is all based off of image exports of the overland z-levels from the game

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The Larch. The Larch. Love that. the boulders look like lil tents and that's pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

hahaa thats funny, I've seen this map a few times, and never noticed the mention of "Dwarf Fortress" (probably wasn't looking to hard though) but looks great, I've messed with the game a little, mostly watched my brother get super frustrated at it but hey thats what makes a good game, one that makes you work... anyways look good!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Finished shading the hills, and painting in the grass and obsidian... Next up, clone stamp hell. Sometimes I wonder why I do these things to myself. Every single one of those icons is getting a rock or a tree or a shrub on it. Weeeeee!!

Name:	surface.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	24539  

Oh boy.... Thanks Ascension Now that I've started working on the trees and plants, everytime I place a larch, I hear a little voice in my head shouting, "The Larch! The Larch!"
    Last edited by moutarde; 05-07-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: grammarz is good

Started adding in the trees and plants, and a boatload more boulders... Added more texture to the grassy areas, I'm trying to cartoonify the grass a bit, but I'm not sure if I'm succeeding or not.

Name:	surface.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	24577