Thread: How do I make Brushes for Gimp?

Question How do I make Brushes for Gimp?

Hey guys, I know this sounds like a novice question (but then again, I'm pretty much still a novice), but how do I make brushes for Gimp that use the foreground color as the color for painting? I have read through both the GIMP users manual, and a few online tutorials, and have managed to create a brush, but it only paints solid black, regardless of what the foreground color is set to. I have tried a couple different methods for making the brush, and no joy.

First Method:

1. Create new doc (rbg color).
    2. Create new transparent layer.
    3. Create brush shape (colored black) on the new layer.
    4. Delete Background layer.
    5. Save doc as a .gbr file in the brushes folder of Gimp (in the users, documents and settings path).

This method got me a brush that only painted using solid black.

Second Method:

1. Create new doc (greyscale color).
    2. Set the background color to gray (50%).
    3. Create new transparent layer.
    4. Create brush shape (colored black) on the new layer.
    5. Flatten image.
    6. Save doc as .gbr file etc.

This method got me a brush with a gray background color.

Ahrgh! Can somebody pleas help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here?

A brush that paints the foreground colour must be flattened to a single layer, greyscale, and have no alpha.

White will be transparent, black will be in the FG colour, and greys will be varying degrees of semi-transparent FG.

Right click on opne of thes existing gbr brushes an open it as a file to see what they look like.

-Rob A>

Thanks Rob, but now I have another question. I have done what you have suggested, but I can't seem to figure out how to delete the Alpha channel. I can make it invisible, in which case the entire image becomes transparent, but when the alpha channel is selected, all of the channel icons, including the "delete" icon are invisible (as seen below). Hence, I don't know how to get rid of the alpha channel.

Nope... Channel in your example image is something TOTALLY different. On the Layers tab, right click and there should be something like "Remove Alpha Channel" or "Add Alpha Channel" if the image has no transparency already.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Thanks Rob, but now I have another question. I have done what you have suggested, but I can't seem to figure out how to delete the Alpha channel. I can make it invisible, in which case the entire image becomes transparent, but when the alpha channel is selected, all of the channel icons, including the "delete" icon are invisible (as seen below). Hence, I don't know how to get rid of the alpha channel.
    In the Layer Menu, right click and select "Remove Alpha Channel".

-Rob A>

Thanks you guys, I just discovered this a while ago and now feel a little silly for having to ask about it. Problem solved.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh