Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A map to accompany a story

Cheers,

I'm not sure if there is a need for a tutorial as I really just followed RobA's tutorial to get the mountains.

Ravs

Could you post the HF for the whole map, separately?

I know one problem many people have with this type of technique is knowing what a hf should look like

Another thing to try is to run it through Bryce again, but use the initially rendered map (with mountains) as the image map, and the exact same lighting, etc. This will "reinforce" the lighting effect in the mountain area.

Also, any luck on changing the camera settings? I know Bryce is very powerful, so this should be possible.... And it is MUCH easier than POVRay to use, as everything in POV is based on text script files...no modeler/visual designer included.

-Rob A>

I think a tut is a great idea... because you used several different tutorials to achieve this map it would be good to see how they integrate and we could get an idea of your workflow.

Also, I'd love to know how you achieved that blocky texture for the farmer's fields and settled areas. I love it! It looks like real areal photography of farmland.
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer
    & Amateur Photoshop Cartographer

Interesting idea, Rob, I'll try runing through Bryce again as you suggest. I can't change the camera settings so it renders as a trapezium (thus correcting the perspective) - at least I thought that's what you meant when you mentioned adjusting the aspect ratio in POVray.

I can adjust the size of resolution and the FOV of the camera in Bryce but it's always a square a or rectangle.

Making a tut shouldn't be so difficult, I'd like to go through it again to make sure that it's all clear in my head anyway so I'll work away on that. Joshua - the farmers' fields were exactly that, which I stitched together from google earth to make a seamless tile. If you go to the 'Mapping Elements' section and look at the sticky thread called 'Land and Sea Texture fills' (or similar), I have posted the fill pattern there so you can use it if you want.

cheers

ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I can't change the camera settings so it renders as a trapezium (thus correcting the perspective)
    I guess I meant two things, but messed them up in my description. The trapezoidal perspective distortion can be "fixed" (orthogonal, or close enough for all practical purposes) by moving the camera away from the scene and zooming in (decreasing the FOV).
    Here is an image with a normal camera view:
    Attachment 1269

With the camera moved twice as far away, and the FOV cut in half:
    Attachment 1270

five times and 1/5:
    Attachment 1271

and 100 times (and 1/100 the FOV - sort of an uber-telephoto):
    Attachment 1272

The aspect ratio thing was to chance the x/y ratio to get a square out, rather than the rectangle shown in the last image.

-Rob A>

Ah OK, I was already doing that - using a FOV setting of 1 degree which still meant having to use the perspective filter but there was far less distortion to correct.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234