Thread: Wip

Map Wip

Hello,

I'm new here and by way of introduction I thought I 'd share a current (but temporarily back-burnered) project of mine.

http://fairytalecloset.com/Osric/Map.htm

The idea was to incorporate a medieval world-map with the addition of mythological/legendary sites as well as a few specific to a project I am developing.

This version is essentially a proof-of concept, as such, a lot of the embellishment is kind of generic (terrain types are very generic and not where I want them to be in the end) and there are some location errors I need to correct as well as a number of editorial changes I want to make. Mainly I took the map as I had it at the time and used the Zoomify API to see if I could get it to work the way I want. I still need a way to get the text to scale properly.

I've considered trying the same approach using the Googlemap API -anyone here ever try that?

Welcome Carnildo! What a beautiful looking map. What did you use to make it? I think RobA and Arcana have used the Googlemap API in the past. Could you tell us a little more about your project (if you're willing)? It sounds interesting.

all the best

Ravs

I used Illustrator to do the basic graphics and then Photoshop to do all the color work. I used a lot of the techniques I developed doing the map insert for the Deluxe edition of Sid Meier's Pirates! (anyone....?). If there is anything specific you want to know I'd be happy to let you know what I did.

As for the project, it's essentially part of an as-yet-to be defined story-graphic novel-MMO proposal. I'm still not sure what the final for will be. For the time being I'm working out places, characters, history, mythology etc. Basic world building I guess.

Default my nephew has Sid Meier's Pirates

My 10 year old nephew has Sid Meier's Pirates - I bought it for him two Xmas's ago. I remember the map of the Caribean as the insert. (?) I'll have to check it out again!

Welcome to the community!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome, Carnildo! Great to have you!

Nice map--thanks for sharing that. I love the "feel" of it...like you could reach out and touch it! So authentic. I can tell you have a good eye--and if you're work is good enough for Sid it's definitely good enough for me!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hi -

I guess we'll treat this as a welcome thread, too!

Are you a professional graphic artist?

-Rob A>

Yeah, I'm a concept artist at Firaxis, so I'm sort of the Jack of all trades go-to guy for stuff like the Pirates map. Maps scratch a certain itch I have for something that can be at once informational, graphic and a work of art. I've been mapping my imagination since I was a kid. I think I was the DM in my neighborhood simply because I liked designing dungeons

As I said earlier, I still have plans to fix that map and pretty it up, but it's a matter of finding the time.

That's awesome, Carnildo--I'd love to see some of your concept art too if you ever feel the inclination. Working at Firaxis must be quite an adventure. (Like millions of others, Civ is my favorite game of all time--and yes, every version!)

Glad to have you here & I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]