Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will be making some generic 4e maps soon!

So after looking around, I found some free software/scripts that I might try out.

1. Simple Machine Forum - one of the other forums I am a member of (a private forum for freelancers) uses it, and it has many of the features of this forum, it automatically creates thumbnails of full sized images, and comes with a host of free add-ons, including a gallery/photo sharing app and a CMS system. No blogs, though.

2. Word Press - I've been playing with a free wordpress blog, but I found out I can import all of WordPress apps and templates for free and load into my site.

While the two aren't directly linked, other than buttons or text links placed between the two main apps, and each will require its own membership password, to join. But I don't think you need to be a member of the Wordpress blog except to post blog replies. I'm thinking of posting the free maps as blog entries, with links to download the different available versions from within the blog itself. After initial publication on the blog, I'll then move the file into the Galllery portion of SMF forum app. Of course I can't really skin the SMF forum to look anything like the Wordpress blog other than matching banners and some color similarities, but oh well. I might look into a free wiki, as well, as a place to post the Kaidan Gazetteer, with links from the forum and blog.

While SMF forum is CSS friendly, as mentioned I am not a CSS coder, so I may stick with the default design (or pick a template for it I like.)

This might prove easier than I thought - we'll see.

Well I'm moving forward - I think with a domain name of FreeRPGMaps.com and a little low cost advertising and free marketing should get some attention once its setup.

Thoughts?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Before doing anything - try looking here: http://www.sallywalker.me.uk/2010/05...ply-brilliant/

On my own wordpress site we don't require membership/registration to comment on our blogs - however we do moderate them (ie, we have to push ok for a post to show), now we're rather new and only spammers try to post in them, but I'm guessing its about 1-2 spams a week - so not a big problem.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the link, Tilt, that should make things much better - though I'm glad to see I wasn't doing too much wrong in thinking SMF is a decent forum software, as the author of that article mentioned her preference of SMF for forum software. But as the article suggests Simple: Press keeps the feel the same using the WordPress style along with being a fully featured forum app.

Nice find! Have some REP (+12 katana, remember!)

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

yihaa.. .thanks, I've upgrade my sword to a +3 Mace of moderatly nice repping some days ago, works much better
    And yes, only heard good stuff about SMF but now you can get stuff that works together and then you only have to find one theme ... by the way - have you tried looking in Themeforest - they have some nice ones
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Before doing anything - try looking here: http://www.sallywalker.me.uk/2010/05...ply-brilliant/

On my own wordpress site we don't require membership/registration to comment on our blogs - however we do moderate them (ie, we have to push ok for a post to show), now we're rather new and only spammers try to post in them, but I'm guessing its about 1-2 spams a week - so not a big problem.
    You are luck. My blog though not active (400 views per day) gets twice that many comment spam attempts per day, of which 99.99% are dumped automatically by the spam filtering provided by my blog software (Serendipity).

-Rob A>

I don't know if I'm thinking too big, but my next thought is to actually call the website: Free RPG Maps & More (though the domain is still FreeRPGmaps.) So while I will post two free maps per week, I will network with my industry connections and see what other free quality RPG content can also be posted on the site. Like Rite Review from Rite Publishing. I have connections with LPJ Publishing, Kobold Quarterly, Rite Publishing, Adamant Entertainment, Roleplaying Tips Newsletter.

How about free GIMP scripts from RobA as site content???

So the front page would contain any free maps I have for offer, a general news page for members (especially those on the list up top), a Yellow Pages free listing for members, a Classified Ads section for free sales of any RPG related content from all members (even selling used RPG material, miniatures, etc.), a Gallery and Slide show for maps, map objects, illustrations, a Free Forum, and a social networking site for all members as well.

Just seeing the tools I have and the connections I have, with the ideas flowing out - is that something worthwhile?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-31-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

its always worthwhile - if you love what you do
    And people love free stuff
    regs tilt

Default Directly sell Endless Terrain Battlemaps...

Oh, I just had an evil idea!

How to pay for a free site. I have this product - my first product I ever created shortly after I started my Gamer Printshop online business (three years ago), called Endless Terrain Battlemaps - a kind of geomorphic map tile set. Think of four, double sided printed 11" x 17" full bleed full color, photo-realistic style, with 3D objects as needed of different settings (I only created 3 at the time): Heavy Woods, Woodland Path and Swamps. Woodland Path didn't sell much at all, the other two have been my most successful product over the years versus any other maps I print.

Although the edges of the maps are geomorphic (the images line-up edge to edge), and you can rotate a map 180 degrees and they still line up, the interiors of each map are different so all 8 sides of the 4 map set are different maps of the same terrain type. There are hundreds of permutations in different layouts so these are a map tile set that gives "Endless Terrain" for any given adventure that fits that terrain type.

I forsee any kind of terrain normal and anamolous, exotic or fantastic, I think dungeon, surface ruins, and alleyways would make popular sets and will do those sooner rather than later, but desert, canyonland, mountain crags, cliffsides, light forest, jungle, seaside, lagoon of islets, lava rivers, caverns, etc.

I was thinking of picking up where I left off, by making both free maps each week be a feature location (fight scene), that corresponds to my current set of Endless Terrain Battlemaps. So lets say I create a desert canyon motif set of 8 geomorphic maps - the posted free maps are an oasis canyon, and a rocky hill for a king of the mountain type battle. The free maps lead into the paid for maps. So your party marches through the endless terrain, until the GM decides to add the free fight scene map for the big encounter, while the other maps were about getting there...

That way I tie the product for sale with the free maps featured. However, based on my schedule, I couldn't create a set of Endless Terrain maps each week - I've got too much other stuff to do. At best I could try to create a set each month, and just play catch-up to the free map schedule. Then hold polls to decide which ET set to produce for the next edition. Perhaps someday I could meet the schedule.

Right now the sets sell for $19.95, but I'm looking at a new machine that might let me cut that price down significantly, at least for cost of printing, lamination is still the same.

While I certainly want to promote and sell my other products and services, I think the tie-in will prove more lucrative and still remain a free website.

Thoughts?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-04-2010 at 03:17 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I've seen those Endless Terrain maps and they are amazing. Anything tied to them will do well. And anything that involves you making more is a wonderful idea!

I think if you can put free maps in players hands where they can get a good look at the quality and design, it will give people, who are on the fence, that little extra nudge to get them to order the full maps.

If my math is correct, there are more than "hundreds" of combinations though. Each map has a front and back and two orientations so four ways of showing each piece. There are four pieces so you have 4^4 (or 256) combinations just from turning and flipping each piece. The four pieces can be placed in the four locations (assuming you restrict it to a square) in 24 different ways. All told that makes 256 x 24 = 6144 combinations. That is TRULY Endless Terrain!
    Last edited by OldGuy; 06-04-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Love the idea of "endless" maps - with endless opportunities
    So questions arise .. what about making them 11 x 11 instead, that whay they can fit together better and of course they should fit with other terrain types. And you could just release one tile at a time - perhaps two the first time.
    What about the quality of the "board" - personally I would love it if it was on really thick board - like a board game board, they would be easy to put together, have a high sense of quality and be very durable
    regs tilt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast