Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will be making some generic 4e maps soon!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Love the idea of "endless" maps - with endless opportunities
    So questions arise .. what about making them 11 x 11 instead, that whay they can fit together better and of course they should fit with other terrain types. And you could just release one tile at a time - perhaps two the first time.
    What about the quality of the "board" - personally I would love it if it was on really thick board - like a board game board, they would be easy to put together, have a high sense of quality and be very durable
    Like this? They come in various sizes including 8.5"x11" and 11"x11". Being a printer, Gamerprinter probably has a better source though.

At this point, I'm doing it in-house. I print to light cardstock, then laminate with 5 mil heavy laminant on both sides, if I could afford to do it on gameboard stock I would, but I'm afraid that would be cost prohibitive to sell. In the state I have them now, I might be able to get the price under $15, many less, and it would be cheaper to mail in this format, just an envelope that's big enough and some protective cardboard on either side.

While I see the mathmatical increase by making them square, the cheapest way for me to produce them is at 11 x 17, and the extra inches in the rectangular shape becomes needed real estate to get more details. The tighter space, the less room I can create interesting detail. If I could print them 17" x 17" now that would be something, but in making it a product I can produce in-house - the size and format is how they will exist for the time being.

Someone else tried to suggest, what about purchasing two sets, then the number of Endless Terrain layouts is exponentially greater. Thanks, Old Guy, somebody once calculated the number of permutations (6144), but I had forgotten. Remember I may be technically skilled to create professional maps, I am really an artist, and not a mathmetician/scientist - glad you did, cause I didn't want to!

I was thinking I could place polls on the site where the community could vote for which map gets produced next, as well as ideas for future free maps and map sets. Offer contests for best map idea, etc.

And if the number of orders for the map got crazy (always such a hope), I have printer-only sources to get volume printing on standard presses to meet any excessive demand. If I don't get crazy amounts of orders, I can do it in-house - I never have to keep an inventory, I essentially POD them myself one order at a time.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

8x16 would give a lot of possiblities too, but then we're back to a reduced area for details. Maybe you could offer a deluxe version on board, if its print on demand. That does however required you being confortable gluing your prints to boards, but it only takes a little pratice ... I remember when I was an apprentice(?) in the advertisment agency and I had to put 70x100 cm posters on pre glued pvc boards, no room for mistakes there - that stuff stuck at once! Small air bubbles could however be removed by scalpel afterwards
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I also make vinyl signs in my day business, so I know how to apply vinyl onto surfaces and minimize the bubbling by using a sign squeegee, like applying wallpaper. For bubbles I use a pin to pop a hole then squeegee the air out and flattening to the glued surface or a rivet brush. So I'm skilled at doing that and I have the tools, but I'd hate to do that in volume - eh, that's manual labor! Eeek!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

uh yeah.. manual labour.. eww *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

these are some beautifull maps

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234