Thread: Map Legend...thoughts/critiques?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Map Legend...thoughts/critiques?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP LEGEND.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	41601

Working on a new fantasy world map...here's the legend i came up with. any thoughts or suggestions on icons to add/lose or any other suggestions?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

it all depends on what you (or the users of the map) will find important. Or what you want the viewer to focus on. Irhg tnow it's population centers and distance, which is a good standby.

Interesting features, dangerous locations, military structures, water features, road/path types, there's all sorts of potential depending on where you want the focus to be

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Just as Coyotemax said, it depends on what you think it is important for the map, the focus. An example is that some maps there are only city icons, fort icons and village for example. However in others you can find dungeon, ruins, path, bridges, etc. icons (some even have the mountain/forest representation) so it depends on what is your focus, what does your map have and etc. On my maps it is very simple...

But if your has cities, townships and castles only (I mean, without any other icon on it) I think your legend is good enough .

Guild Novice

If you do think of adding historical sites (battles, dungeons, etc) you could do them in white (or map base color) and a black outline so that your population centers stand out more, but you have more details for a world history flavor to it. Those don't necessarily have to be added to the Legend either. Mark a battle with crossed swords, mark ruins with something that looks like one (greco-roman are easy to identify as such, but there are others), a tree if you have elves and want to designate a major area for them...

Guild Novice

all essential map elements that are not labeled should be included in the legend.