Thread: Orosia

Default Orosia

For this map, I did a lot of rendering clouds and then dodge/burning to get results that I thought looked good. I drew in a few things, though - rivers, towns, roads, and lakes.

Anyway, sorry for not showing the work in progress. The only time I even saved other than now was after all the landmasses, mountains, and forests were done, and then after adding little things one at a time.

This is kind of a new style for me. Any critiques would be welcome.

It's uploaded at 100% - I know it's huge, but there's a lot of detail to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orosia.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	24714  
    Last edited by StarRaven; 05-12-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

The seafloor is awesome, and the rivers and roads look very nice too. Some of the forests look like they're rising up from the ground a little too high though. The coastline is a bit blurry, especially in some parts of the map (the NW coast of the desert). The towns are beautiful but the style also implies that they are to scale with the terrain - which would make them enormous.

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably get rid of the bevel on the forests, period, but they just look so flat without it. I'm not sure I see where the coast looks blurry, though. D:

Unfortunately, that's about as small as I can get the towns while still maintaining any sort of detail. I tried just putting markers in various shapes, but I don't like how they look. I pretty much drew them to look nice, I wasn't worried too much about scale except what looked good, heh.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Heavily stylized but retains the needed info to inform the viewer. I like it and I think you can develop this and push it further...which you probably will tinker with from time to time. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, Ascension.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah, the problem with town and cities at your scale is that they are probably on 1 pixel big or less, which leaves you only with the option of how to represent them. I like the way you've did it but I will agree with ghostman that that style does imply that they are to size. I personally used icons instead on my region map (Mountain Realms) and it ended up looking good
    But its looking good and I feel the need to swing my sword of cool repping +2
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I really wanted to be able to show the shape and unique features of each little town, rather than just a generic marker. I tried markers and I didn't like them.

But then again, this map was never meant to be terribly accurate or to-scale, it was made as inspiration. :3 It is a map I can zoom into and explore and come up with ideas for.

On another note, I think I don't draw enough rivers.