Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Star Empire of Manticore (Fan Project)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default [WIP] Star Empire of Manticore (Fan Project)

I'm reading David Weber's Honor Harrington series for probably the fifth time, and every time I read it I want to map it. This time I'm doing it.

I've taken the maps from all of the books and combined them into a (mostly) consistent scale. The main map is 4px/ly, the Talbott Cluster callout is 3px/ly, and the Silesian Confederacy is considerably zoomed in, but I haven't calculated the exact scale yet.

So here we have a starfield background, the placement of about 90% of the stars, the Manticoran Wormhole and its termini (yellow lines) and the callout layouts.

I'd like to do another callout in the top right, but that may have to be the space for the legend. We'll see how it goes.

For any fans of the books that may notice that the borders of the various polities are a bit out of date, I'm working through this chronologically, so this is showing the political scene as it was in the first few books. The final will show changing of hands throughout the Havenite Wars, and my goal is to show the scene as it is at the end of Mission of Honor. I'll warn folks if there are any spoilers from MoH, in case anyone's waiting for the hard copy to come out in a couple months.

Incidentally, there's a map on the wikipedia page for the books that I'm not using as a reference ... I disagree with some of the artist's interpretations, and it doesn't lend itself well to the scale callouts I'm using.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honorverse1.jpg 
Views:	1982 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	24610  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Cool idea! I love the books!

Thanks Sapiento! I'm glad to see a fellow fan of the books

Guild Journeyer

I'd love to see the finished product too. The shifting borders thing sound cool. I always felt that Webber was trying too hard to make technology fit into his "high seas" metaphor and tactics, but that's hardly something to stop me from enjoying some good military space opera. I wonder when his next HSH book is coming out. I'll have to check that.

Now if only a HSH map of this scale could be done with Daelin's Empire of Man style. That would be truly awesome.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion, wormspeaker! I haven't been following that thread as closely as others since i usually stick to the fantasy side of things, but I'll definitely head over there for some inspiration.

Ok, yeah ... wow. That would be quite the project! Not feeling quite that ambitious, lol.

First pass at star labeling here. I didn't notice until I was typing it for the 2nd time that there are 2 Cascas on the map at the beginning of the Short Victorious War. Go figure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honorverse2.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	24647  

Wow, big job. Great books though so a worthy challenge! Keep going!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - and yes, Daelins style would be fantastic here - but since the distances are longer - that map would be huge... *whispers.. go gidde go gidde*
    I haven't read the books, but I feel sorry for that lone star to the bottom right that doesn't have a name
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer

That one should be Hennesy, it's part of the Phoenix Cluster. (It's not mentioned often in the books. The Phoenix Cluster is a minor neutral power located in a quiet corner of of space just outside of the Solarian League if I remember correctly.

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Man...mhole_Junction
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Haha, yeah, it's missing a name because I wanted to find it in the books first. I had seen it named on a previous map, but the spelling looked odd so I was waiting for literary confirmation. Unfortunately, I ran through the books without stopping to map while I read lol ... guess I'll have to read them again (oh shucks)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast