Thread: Realistic Elevation Photoshop Brushes

Guild Journeyer

Default Realistic Elevation Photoshop Brushes

When tackling the problem of creating a realistic elevation map, i tried first to make a set of brushes that i could use to paint in elevation with. These were carefully created from real elevation data. While they certainly work better than painting with round fuzzy brushes, it wasn't entirely what i wanted, and i mostly turned to copy/pasting real elevation into my map. However, i've still found the brushes useful to add in some detail, and some of you may find them useful too. So i present them here.

* To keep the pattern from being too obvious, these brushes are highly randomized in position, opacity, rotation, scale, etc, and some combine 2 graphic elements. Each click will produce a different result.

* Some of these brushed look best with single clicks, and others if you paint a stroke.

* Some of these brushes are extremely large approaching 500 px wide, so the detail is about as high res as i could get it.

* The Brushes are named: "Geo UP..." or "Geo DOWN", as you might expect, these are designed to raise or decrese elevation respectively.

* To keep the image from being absurdly large, i only did about 2/3rds of the brushes in the example image below.

Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geobrushes.jpg 
Views:	6749 
Size:	352.0 KB 
ID:	24621
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jwbjerk; 05-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff, thx for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks amazing, Ill have to try it out tonight...I have a big map I want to make.

Awesomeness in pure form. Here's my reputation for you, very useful.

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much for these, really great starter pack for making height maps!

Hi, have the attached files been removed? I only see the picture.

Oh nvm, it shows in the desktop view, not in the mobile view.thank you