Thread: Swiss-style relief shading

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default Swiss-style relief shading

OK, so I've had this done for a while now but have been holding off on posting it. It may not be perfect as I am the only one to proofread it...there may be some errors and typos. So please let me know. Also, the style may not be as exact but it's as close as I could get it. I used something called PrimoPDF to convert the 16 megabyte doc file into a pdf so that may be messed up as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial 7 with pics.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 24.jpg 
Views:	3059 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	24318  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The pdf is working fine, and this looks great. Can't wait to try it

Praise Proof of concept

I didn't complete the tutorial and didn't proof read the entire document. I was able to open the PDF with out trouble and everything worked as described.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	1391 
Size:	960.7 KB 
ID:	24324

Only two comments. As described, my picture turned out "bumpier", but I think if I filtered the hills better or even the original clouds it might improve. Also as described, my contour lines are quite distracting with the "every 10 after 100" so either that's not what you really did or I confused what you meant.

you also tell them to "fill with paint bucket". The alt+bksp and ctrl+bksp fills are faster for foreground and background fill. I'm not sure if you did that intentionally or not.

Thanks for the effort! I was just getting ready to start a map with this feel.
    Last edited by paradox_wanderer; 05-01-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: forgot the "second comment" -genius
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What you need to do with the contour lines is to lower the opacity or put a light brown on them. In mine, I did both.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Wow - just... wow.

Darnit, now I gotta go home and work on trying to emulate this!

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

Looks really nice. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

not really my favorite style, but kudos for making that tutorial... I'll rep the...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise