Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isoyni (WIP)

I have abandoned the old-worn map style, for now.

Here is another version made after scouring this forum for tutorials. Tried to make it in a semi-satelite-ish kinda style. I'm satisfied, since I have learned alot and I feel i master GIMP on a new level now. However, I'd always like input on it. How to improve and such. Keep in mind I dont know much of technical terms and jargon, being both a newb and non-english speaker But all help is appreciated

Here is the new WIP.
    New name is Isonea. I think that might sound better, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also,forgive me for not posting and abandoning my own threads. I tend to forget my hobbies after a while, and then pick them up again later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isonea2000.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	37500  

Hi there Njordys! Hey not a bad start. I do have some constructive criticism to offer though, since you are asking. First, the black outline surrounding the land in your maps seems a bit thick, distracting even. I'd recommend reducing it a bit. Second, the blending of the mountains and forests into the surrounding terrain could use a bit of work. Regarding the mountains, I'd suggest adding a 100-200px (depending on the size of your document) gausian blur to the brown Mt. color layer. As to the forests, in the Photo-realistic Trees thread I've added several updates regarding how to help blend them into the surrounding terrain more naturally. I keep meaning to update the tutorial itself but just haven't found the time to do so yet, but you can find these updates in the thread itself. Third, perhaps a bit more overall color variation-to the map to indicate different types of terrain-would be nice. Otherwise, it's a decent beginning. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it

Here is the newest version.

I've been toning down the black outline, adding some much needed colour variation (worried if I went overboard with it). Tried to variate terrain heights a bit, but uncertain on the execution. I have not been able to read the forest thread yet, but yeah, perhaps the forests need some modification too.

Name:	Isonea2050.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	37508  

No prob man. The outline looks much better. Also, the mountains blend into the surrounding terrain allot more naturally now. The color variation is nice as well. Look forward to watching the map progress.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Heh, it has been over two years since I started this thread. Anyway. I made a new version a few months ago. I'll link it here.

njordys's deviantART gallery

I used a tutorial from here to raise the mountains a bit, and reworked the colors some. Any tips for further advancement?

Name:	isoy_2012_by_njordys-d5at2cs.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	49058  

Here I tried to make the ocean a bit more simple as I thought it was a bit distracting.

Name:	IsoyOkt.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	731.4 KB 
ID:	49131  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12