Thread: Elemontia, MK 2

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Uncle Twitchy's Avatar
    Sitting on a park bench (eying little girls with bad intent)

Map Elemontia, MK 2

This is one of my maps of my fantasy world, Elemontia (the name of the subcontinent shown in the map) -- I say this is Mark II of Elemontia because the earlier map, hand-drawn back in 1980, has long since disintegrated and the geography and names have long since changed. This version of Elemontia was initially drawn on Bristol board in 1992, traced, scanned and redrawn in Illustrator in 1995-96, and then the topographical Photoshop version (with the borders done in Illustrator) done in 2000 or thereabouts. This map shows Elemontia during its rough equivalent to the Industrial Revolution, showing both the political boundaries as well as major roads and railroads, done for a RPG using the Castle Falkenstein rules system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elemontia Mk 2 Map.pdf  

Wow, that is quite a detailed map you got there Twitchy! Beautiful job on this. Have you guys been campaigning in Elemontia consistently since 1980? Love here a bit more detail on your world. Anyway, have some rep for this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! It's a place I've been tinkering with on and off since, yeah, about '80, though I have a tendency to grab a historical period and say, "Okay, we're going to do a game set during this time period" -- usually after reading or seeing something that sparks my imagination. Like, for instance, after reading Steven Brust's The Phoenix Guards and subsequently re-reading The Three Musketeers and other swashbuckling classics, I did a Restoration-era campaign in Elemontia that inspired the Mark 2 redesign of the continent that you see here (set some 150 years prior to the map I've shown here, so the political borders are quite different). A few years later, the game 7th Sea came out and I revisited that era of the world.

Lately the George R.R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire books have re-captured my interest in a medieval pagentry-and-warfare style game, and the RPG based on those books is just perfect for what I want to do, which has inspired the latest redesign.

Huh, I like the idea of experimenting with different time periods in the same world. I could see this being especially interesting if the events and personas of a previous game set centuries before figured into a current campaign. Gives the players a sense that their actions really have a far reaching impact upon the game.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes, very cool indeed and also love the idea of playing in the same world in different centuries... have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Very nice indeed, though I wonder why the borders are as they are. I don't see any rivers that bordes usually follow, though some do follow the mountains, which is good.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Very nice indeed, though I wonder why the borders are as they are. I don't see any rivers that bordes usually follow, though some do follow the mountains, which is good.
    Borders following rivers isn't really that common, check out western Europe for instance (including Sweden).

Yeah, the borders are based on regional territories and actual border disputes between cultures (and nations) through events that have occurred during various game campaigns.