Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Entry: Avatar Inflitrator Module

Default May Entry: Avatar Inflitrator Module

So something quick, huh? I decided to work on Sc-Fi map since I hardly ever make them. Also borrowing some ideas from Avatar (the movie), this is a late 21st century version of my Assassin's Lair map entry from June 2009.

The Avatar Infiltrator Module: utilized by a military special ops unit dedicated in xeno-infiltration. The operative is thoroughly trained in language and technical training appropriate for several alien species to work as both a spy and an assassin. The avatar bio-link bed sits at the center, surrounding by a panel of monitors used for select which xeno-form is to be used to carry the consciousness of the operative for the prepared mission. While some monitors will show the selected alien on screen, some will show the planet of concern, the dropsite, and other scientific data required to prepare such a mission. (Not all the monitors will be active).

Once the xeno-form (grown alien lifeform) is selected, the operative lays in the avatar link bed at the center of the map and goes to sleep. His consciousness is uploaded through the neural network into the pre-seleced alien body.

Not yet in this map, six or eight cryogenic sleep chambers each containing a different alien body awaits consciousness upload for the spy/assassin operative to awaken within. The unit will open and out steps the transferred agent. (Sleep chambers with various aliens is next on the agenda for creation, followed by the formed outer walls or containment bulkheads, in this case.)

At the top of the map is the transporter chamber where the operative within his uploaded xeno-form will be molecularly transfered to the selected site location in (ship, planet, space station) whereever the mission is required and perform it. (See the transporter chamber at the top of the map.)

Some various monitoring equipment will be placed otherwise, that's all I plan for this "module" - so aliens, cyrogenic chambers, outer walls and some equipment is all I have left for the main map. I will come up with some kind of border/frame, a title display and that's about it. The aliens will be the most work. There will be no grid in the end, making this entry better suited to use in a VT app. Due to the high tech nature of the intended design - all Xara bevel effects and 3D elements only, no hand-drawn stuff in this map.

Progress so far...

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avatar-infiltrator-module.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	24662  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

oO very cool ... will definately be keeping an eye on this one

Default Insectoid or Amphibian with Mandibles??

OK, I just created in 3D and rendered the Cryrogenic Pod, along with its first occupant. I was going to call it a Chiton (some type of insectoid being), but I smoothed the model too much and it seems to look a bit like an odd frog, so an amphibian with mandibles and antenna? I have decided.

The safety stripe and handles area of pod is given a transparent coloring in Xara, so I didn't skin the model that way, I cheated and placed those in my vector app. I was going to put some kind of property of..., but then I decided to keep it generic, so somebody else could use the map, without naming which star nation possessed this equipment - up to the GM.

Don't worry about the pod going past the floor, I will have sloping walls. I'm thinking of adding assorted cables on the floor surrounding the pod, except for a walkable area in front and to one side of the pod - to get out easily. Also thinking of placing monitors on the walls between the pods. Finally I want to add piping and extra detaining in the bulkhead walls that will eventually surround this module chamber.

This guy was easy, expect some poser people just to spare me from trying to create a semi-humanoid and still look humanoid. But I'm thinking of creating a true invertibrate giant pillbug looking alien and a worm, in addition to the other aliens, I have yet to conceive what they are. At least I only need "above the hips" alien models, as the rest is hidden in the pod.

Next update...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	avatar-infiltrator-module1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	379.8 KB 
ID:	24674  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is looking really cool so far, GP. I love the alien!

Default OK, this is the Chiton

Next alien in a pod, the Chiton for sure - a xenomorph or insectoid creature, rather than an elegant mantis, this critter is something like a pillbug, but known as a large type of scavenger creature found at the bottom of the sea on earth, but on its planet exists on every surface as well as on the bottom of the sea. He seems particularly disgusting looking...

Say it, "Its creepy, GP!"

Done for the night, will create a couple more aliens tomorrow. I think there's only going to be five alien bodies, the upper portion of the map, will a kind of residential area to the right of the transporter, and a decontamination chamber and armory to the left of the transporter - then labeling, that's my plan for now.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	avatar-infiltrator-module-next.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	419.8 KB 
ID:	24702  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-12-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Done with aliens - the hardest part...

Done with the most difficult part of this challenge entry - the aliens. Got the amphibian looking guy, the chiton, a blue (poser figure) man, a yellow (poser figure) female, and a velociraptor. Next I need to work on the bulkhead walls, then some equipment, some images for the various monitors, some cabling and piping on the floor and walls. A residential corner for the spy/assassin operative, and a decon chamber next to the armory. Moving right along.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	avatar-module.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	469.8 KB 
ID:	24719  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it's creepy GP
    looking really good - although the frog looks like he's sitting up?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That amphibian's neck points forward when it is standing up, so its head is naturally in front of its torso, rather than above it - a weird evolutionary track, I'm sure - I am no xeno-biologist.

I thought that using Avatar neural link technology would make an apt spy/assassin/saboteur method, so this could be a legitimate part of the military intelligence of the "sky people" (humans) of the movie setting. Or this could be a renegade group, having stolen the technology. Its kind of futuristic, but believable method of "polymorph" for a sci-fi setting. That's the impetus behind the design.

I figure this module is located on a hidden deck on either military starships or diplomatic starships, known to the shipbuilders and the Bureau of Naval Intelligence, but not necessarily to the diplomatic corp, whom these ships are used.

I also think the technology is used to implicate one star nation as the scapegoat for acts committed by the avatar operative wearing their skin, even being a suicide bomber for once the alien form is destroyed, though a shock to your neual system it is not debilitating. The operative wakes up in the neural link bed, none the worse for wear.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-13-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Main bulkheads done...

I completed the main bulkheads (walls) and starting the define the residential stateroom in the top right corner. While infiltration operations occur during sleep mode in the neural link bed, it is not where the operative normally sleeps, which is in his stateroom. While the operative could be kept hidden from the main crew that operates the starship where this hidden deck is located, allowing the operative to reside within the naval commications array which this module is a part. He could also serves as a crewmember and/or attached naval officer serving aboard the main starship. Even inviting guests to visit is quarters and communications center. Of course the windows viewing the cold sleep chambers could become opaque allowing a communications display to appear in its stead (as a means of hiding what he's really doing.)

Oh I increased the scale of the transporter cell to accomodate the larger aliens (velociraptor with tail, etc.)

Almost done, so more details tonight and I think this will be complete - I need to finish the residential area. A shower unit and toilet facility is in that small enclosure in the top left corner of the stateroom. Will place a desk and entertainment center, a small kitchen facility and dining table, and some storage bins as well. The top left side of the module will be getting a decon chamber, and armory/prep area.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	avatar-module1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	713.8 KB 
ID:	24744  
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Almost done...

Almost done with this, just some equipment to place between the cyrogenic pods, and I'll call this complete.

Strange, though I tried to upload a 100 ppi JPG with medium compression, less than 1 MB, and 3550 pixels at the widest, yet the attachment manager said it was an invalid file (???) So I converted into a 100 ppi PNG file at 3.45 MB and uploaded. (OK, that worked).

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	avatar.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	24749  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast