Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2010 Entry: Inn of the Western Sands

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default May 2010 Entry: Inn of the Western Sands

As soon as this challenge was posted, a little ditty started going through my head ... so I decided to enter with my fantasy treatment of it.

This is all very rough so far, mostly I'm just taking visual notes at this point, to make sure I don't forget anything -- and posting so that I don't wuss out on yet another challenge

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayChallenge1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	24697  

Hmm, sounds like Hotel California. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Let's see where you go with this.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Finished the basic floor plan, and changed the shape of the courtyard. I'm still not sure if I want to keep this style or do a more textured color style. Next update will probably be my texture experiment.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mayChallenge2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	24812  

Oops, missed your post that last time, Aval ... yeah, Hotel California's been stuck in my head now for a week

Went further than experimenting with the texture style, pretty sure this is the working style now. Redid the floor plan, and started on the courtyard.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mayChallenge3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	24823  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love you text - I think the "I think they're singing welcome" is to big a give-away" but other than that - perfect
    Concerning the map I feel the tiles are a bit dark - maybe if you tone down the black between them it will help?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks tilt! I tweaked the last few entries, added the secret door they reference back onto the map, lightened the tiles and darkened the doors a bit so that the handles contrast better. I also tried (again) to adjust my monitor brightness so I quit making everything darker than it ought to be. Is this better?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mayChallenge4.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	24828  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat 'twist' on one of my favorite songs.

You might consider adding some shadows, etc. to give the walls a bit of "depth" unless you intend for it to be like this. Which makes me wonder if a more 'sketchy' style might not be better.

Anywho...I like where this is going.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the overall concept and I like the content of the text. The voice of the writer varies between a modern voice and that of an earlier period. Perhaps the text could be tightened up to be more consistent with a particulat theme.

Also might I suggest once you finalize and rasterise the text you could blur, vary and distort it slightly to make it look more like genuine hand writing.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 05-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Thanks SG, and yeah, I definitely plan to put shadows in, but I'll probably do them last so that I can shadow the furniture, etc. at the same time.

Thanks, Aval ... I totally agree on the writer voice, it definitely needs more polish. I'm planning on "bleeding" the ink using the same techniques as the Velaedin Empire map, but first it needs the polish you're talking about, and I need to find a better font. I like this one, but it doesn't seem to include punctuation, which makes it useless for this purpose.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

getting better... your "S" should be on top on the wall, preferably with an outline or glow to make it stand out - and in a font that matches the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast