Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alia

Well, using a paper crumple texture for the sea makes it look as if the sea part of the map has been crumpled, while the land part miraculously is not. So, looking at it as a representation of a physical map, it comes across rather oddly. As a digital map with the paper crumple as simply a way of texturing the sea, it works.

Blog Entries

Gorgeous. You've captured well some of Ramah's strongest elements. I'm impressed and you're repped.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I think you've managed to extend Ramah's materials effectively. What I mean is this is not simply copying Ramah's style, or using his elements. You've done some really nice remixing here.

I love the coastal lines repeated, and the blend into the ocean.

What I really want to know is how you got the trees to be multicolored. I've used Ramah's awesome TreeThing program and played with trees myself and of course they are always a solid color. Yours have depth and texture even zoomed way in up close. What did you do?

Still admiring this map. Would really love to see a tutorial about the water, paper, coasts, etc.

Thanks . The water was made with the help of a crumbled paper texture. I can't find the exact one any more, but that's how it got the texture it has. The colours were done by making the ocean the darkest blue, selecting the land mass, expanding, feather the selection and lightening. Repeating this process gives the transition from light to dark.
    As for the forests, under the layer with Ramah's brushes I painted a forest texture (made by Pedrov). The colour difference was made by simply darkening some parts and lightening others. The texture can be found in the texture topic here (page 4): http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Textures/page4
    As for the coastlines, you should check out Ascensions tutorial, which has a post concerning coastlines http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...s-in-Photoshop

Ooh. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Saule View Post
    Thanks . The water was made with the help of a crumbled paper texture. I can't find the exact one any more, but that's how it got the texture it has. The colours were done by making the ocean the darkest blue, selecting the land mass, expanding, feather the selection and lightening. Repeating this process gives the transition from light to dark.
    Ok, so, I actually tried this out and think I got it. My Photoshop (or GIMP) file is three layers:

3)
    My top layer is crumply paper (i used a tutorial) with a Soft Light blend over the others.

2)
    I added a middle layer because on your map the blue-grey crumply paper ocean is not uniform, but looks like it is varied by some difference clouds. So I added a middle layer with difference clouds that has a Hard Light blend down onto the bottom blue-grey layer.

1)
    I put a blue-grey fill on the bottom layer.

The result was exactly what I was going for, so super thx! Here it is (jpg & psd):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water-Test.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	40074 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Test.psd 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	40075
    Last edited by paulbhartzog; 11-19-2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: formatting

Looks good Paul, now lets see you slap a continent on top of it and make a map, I have faith in you my brother!
    Last edited by bradlavario; 12-01-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12