Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long has PhotoShop CS5 been out?

Default How long has PhotoShop CS5 been out?

Hi all. I finally have a little money to burn and was considering upgrading to Adobe PhotoShop CS5. (I'm currently using v7 from eons ago)

I hate to buy a product and then hear about a new version coming out a month later. Anyone know offhand how long CS5 has been out? Are there any rumors of CS6 on the horizon?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's been out for about, oh, a month that I know of.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It's been out for about, oh, a month that I know of.
    LOL. Perfect timing then. Thanks!

Indeed. Wish I had waited. I got CS4 in late November. Please tell us all about it when you have had a chance to explore.
    M

<sigh> I think I'll have to wait now.

I'm using Eye Candy 4000 (also a 10 year old version) and it doesn't look like it will work with CS5. The new version is $249 which I don't have. I use it so heavily that I can't imagine PS without it, so no point upgrading PS until I can do both.
    ________
    top penny stocks
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't worry about your old version, I use CS which is almost as old. The newer versions look like they'd just confuse me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That is one reason why I went from my old PS version 7 to PSE (current version). It has all the features that I was use to in PS7, plus some upgrades (I've grown to love the panorama features).

I understand that PS CS Ver X has lots of new wonderful features that I am totally missing out on. But my wallet loves me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've seen the teasers that Adobe has put out there, and all my programs (PS, ILL, ID) has cool new features, so I'm planning to upgrade soon
    Photoshop has got a cool new funcion for retoush work - when you delete elements it pretty much calculates what was behind it
    Illustrator have now got an option for varying stroke width (tapered rivers - yes)
    InDesign ... well is not really relevant for mapping - but has got new stuff to.. .like different size pages, which I have been missing

all in all a cool package again ... to bad the price is double up in Denmark
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I tried the trial version, and almost immediately determined it wouldn't be worth it for me to upgrade at this time. I'm using CS3 at the moment, and the GPU options won't work with my machine, so the only thing I could really make use of might be the content aware stuff (nifty) and the ability to adjust layer properties on multiple layers at once (also nifty) - but nifty is not enough of an incentive for me to justify the cost.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I just got the following response from Alien Skin support:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Candy Rep
    Hi Mike,
    I would say upgrading to CS5 would be the best bet based on your setup. I have no idea if EC 6 will work under version 7 of Photoshop, but I doubt it. EC 4000 seems to work find under the 32-bit version of CS5 on my Win 7 machine. Hope this helps.
    I may be upgrading to CS5 after all!
    ________
    kr-1s
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast