Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long has PhotoShop CS5 been out?

For those of you that might not be aware: you can download a fully-functional trial of CS5 from the Adobe site. Playing around with it may help you decide if it's worth it.

I'm toying around with PS CS5 now, but have not toyed around with many new features. The only initial difference I have noticed from CS4 is draw times seem to be improved on my setup (GTX 275 working with large PSB files) but everything else (filters, etc.) seems a little more sluggish (only very slightly). I also need to adjust the zoom tool; it defaults to a setup where clicking and dragging produces some sort of dynamic zoom, instead of the traditional marquee zoom.

With regard to Eyecandy, my expectation would be that old versions would continue to work with 32-bit Photoshop versions, but not 64-bit. So unless you like switching back and forth between PS versions, you have to choose between having access to your old filter and being able to utilize more RAM for your images. I really wish Adobe would come up with something that would enable 32-bit brushes in 64-bit PS.

About a week after I got CS4, I suspect. I'm happy enough with what I have, though I wish CartoPGM worked in CS4. I have to start up my old CS to deal with PGMs, which takes about five times as long as starting CS4 'cause it's in emulation. Apparently the internal photoshop import/export plugin for PGM doesn't handle grayscale properly. At least so far as Bryce is concerned.

I figure if CS4 breaks an old plugin CS5 will and probably vice-versa. Annoying, that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    I just got the following response from Alien Skin support:
    Originally Posted by Eye Candy Rep
    Hi Mike,
    I would say upgrading to CS5 would be the best bet based on your setup. I have no idea if EC 6 will work under version 7 of Photoshop, but I doubt it. EC 4000 seems to work find under the 32-bit version of CS5 on my Win 7 machine. Hope this helps.
    I may be upgrading to CS5 after all!
    If you're using a 64 bit version of windows then using CS5 32 bit is really crippling yourself out of the gate...

Looking at upgrading ASAP myself. From what I hear it makes much better use of optimization and has some great masking toys that I want to play with. Unfortunately, it apparently also has a bit of learning curve and "why didn't they finish this feature?" to it. That's pretty much Adobe SOP though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, a feature that they introduce now won't be perfected until 2 versions down the line.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yeah, a feature that they introduce now won't be perfected until 2 versions down the line.
    Sounds like Micro$oft
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like almost all software companies, they all push to get their product to market and then they'll fix things later - pretty standard in that business now. The opposite example was Duke Nuke'm 2 - which never shipped due to fixing everything beforehand... and everytime some other game came with something new, they had to have that too.. before shipping... and then they used up all their money...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Software should work but now that I have had the experience of writing and releasing a full product I can tell you that its the users that demand that you release early even with the bugs in it. People who buy software want more features with bugs in more than they want less features which are fully tested and fixed. That's not what I want but its is what the large majority of people want. Microsoft are big because they outpaced their rivals with features and a pretty UI despite everyone and their dog knowing that it used to crash & BSOD continuously. There are people now that only buy apps from version 2 or that they release 10+ versions per year because it has an active development strategy. This to me smacks of it being fundamentally buggy and likely as not never ever to work without problems. But if you write something and spend ages getting it perfect, release a V1 and not update it then to large sections of the potential user base its a non starter. With a company like Microsoft who has a history of releasing less well tested software then you can apply that strategy but its not universal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12