Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice World (Concept & WIP)

Wip Ice World (Concept & WIP)

Made this concept-map afther watching the second star wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, where the ice world of Hoth fascinated me. I have also read about the "snowball Earth" theory, where some scientist speculate that it is possible that the entire world was engulfed in a global ice age that froze the sea even at equator.

Anyway, here is my concept map, very rash and quickly made, however, it shows my idea. A very much frozen world, where only the equator is ice-free, and a few islands are snowless. Only on these snowless tundras the scarse life is able to cling to existance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iceworld.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	24717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	24859  
    Last edited by njordys; 05-17-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: put second concept map to top post

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Well that is a "cool" map

hope to see this develop

I love the ice maps, can't wait to see this one develop.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good idea.. looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The next concept map in the series. Still a bit raw, but it now looks more like a planet. The red line is the equator.

The ice free areas are determined by factors like sun light (ofcourse), ocean currents and volcanic activity.

Name:	island.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	24858  
    Last edited by njordys; 05-17-2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: better map uploaded

sorry if this is considered bumping, but I've taken up this project again.

Here is another version, this time with textures. Red is still equator, landmass is diverting the warm currents towards north in the east portion of the map. Far to the north there is vulcanic activity creating a small pocket of water in the ice. Forests and grasslands are scarce, and always near the coast.

Name:	IceWorldTexture.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	31879  
    Last edited by njordys; 12-30-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: new image attached

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very *Ahem* Cool !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

just another fix-up. Experimenting with inkscape, making text labels and such. Also, tried to add some northern image- fluff to see if it makes a fresher impression. What do you guys think?

Name:	IsVerdenF.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	31925  

I like the first image of the aurora. It sets a nice tone. But for some reason I don't like the bears. It's probably just my opinion. I guess it depends on what mood you want to set. Like a picture of dangerous monsters, or a serene landscape. It appears to me that the polar bear were just dropped in there because their polar bears. *shrugs* It's looking good so far. Good textures.
    My DA

Unless I state otherwise in a post, all of my work displayed on this forum is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FeralBuddy View Post
    I like the first image of the aurora. It sets a nice tone. But for some reason I don't like the bears. It's probably just my opinion. I guess it depends on what mood you want to set. Like a picture of dangerous monsters, or a serene landscape. It appears to me that the polar bear were just dropped in there because their polar bears. *shrugs* It's looking good so far. Good textures.
    I agree with FB. The map overall is awesome and can stand on it's own without the "fluff" (although I DO like the aurora as well)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast