Thread: World of Crucible & Arandor Region - In Progress

Wip World of Crucible & Arandor Region - In Progress

Hey guys. So this is my first post here. A few months ago, I started up a D&D campaign in a homebrew world I've been kicking around in my head for a few years. I sat down and made a decent map in Campaign Cartographer and joined the Obsidian Portal website. Well, there I was blown away by Arsheesh's maps, and he was kind enough to point me here. So, after reading Ascension's excellent tutorial, I sat down and redid my world.

Attached are two maps. The first is my campaign world. I consider it "mostly done" with some sprucing up that needs to be done on getting some of the names of regions better placed, adding a key, add a compass point somewhere, etc. But any critique is welcome.

The second is the "Arandor Region" where my players are currently staying. I did it just by cropping out the rest of the world map and trying to make it work... it's obviously incredibly rough and needs a ton of work. I've been having trouble really figuring out how to make it look good at this level. Specifically, my forests look like crap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arandor.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	24772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crucible2-Small.png 
Views:	348 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	24773  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to have a look thru the tutorial forum (if you haven't already), plenty of good stuff in there to help you along.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey Hardhead, welcome to the Guild! I like the color palette that you have chosen. I also like the stylized "foggy" look of your Crucible map. The font you have chosen is great as well. OK, one minor critique. Some of your mountains look a little washed out (meaning that the white snow caps layer is too dominant). This is particularly the case in the northern region just above the Trackless Desert. Now this might not be such a big deal, the hazy white are might be representing cloud-like atmosphere, but if this is not what you had in mind, then you might want to tone down the white by adjusting the color levels and/or layer opacity of your snow caps layer. That said, great application of Ascension's tut. And have a bit of rep for posting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 05-14-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the guild, and have some rep for maps in your first post!