Thread: How deep is the ocean

Default How deep is the ocean

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...an-woods-hole/

Satellite measurement.

sorry one good hand - other burned (not serious)

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    sorry one good hand - other burned (not serious)
    Must. suppress. naughty. comment...

Blog Entries

Cool link. I didn't get one bit - where there is a mountain underneath it says there will be a bulge. Why not the other way around. Or do they mean an inverted mountain like a deep bit ?

Joe - I should have known that was the brand of sympathy I'd get....

I liked the picture and the details were interesting. I'm on a perpetual quest to understand how long a mile is.

I'd love a more authoritative source. I consider Fox news slightly better than Ouija Board for making sense and less honest.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Greater mass density under the ocean's surface will pull in water from the surrounding areas, making a mound of water above that area. There are also areas of lower gravity (such as some zones in the Indian Ocean of lower avverage density rocks) that result in a net dimple because the lower gravity can't hold the water in place and it flows out to the surrounding areas.

I didn't know that, and it's fairly awesome.