View Poll Results: Do you ever use an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to read the forums?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope, no interest

12 63.16%
  • No, but I would if I could use an app

1 5.26%
  • Every once in a while

3 15.79%
  • Every day

3 15.79%

Thread: iDevice Support

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default iDevice Support

I'm not sure how many of us are reading the forums from an iphone, but i do for much of the day, and there are vBulletin plugins that would allow me to use an app to read the forums a lot more easily. These plugins are free and purportedly take 5 min to install. Is this somethibg you'd consider doing? I've done some research and the best appears to be ForumRunner (info at forumrunner.net). The client app is $2, but I'd pay in a heartbeat to save the time it takes to load the forums in safari.
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-13-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added poll

I don't and never have owned a cell phone - let alone iAnything... while I am making maps for the iPad, I don't see myself getting one anytime soon. I use a PC to do anything online. While I am not digitally inept, I am digitally/communicatively uninterested.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I do sometimes, and I voted accordingly. Not sure what how the plug-in you're suggesting changes things but, frankly, I prefer to see the sites I visit in their usual PC-centric configuration. Wikipedia, Yahoo! and some others have alternate mobile configs and I don't like them very much compared to what I'm used to seeing. Safari on the iPod is slow but works okay for me - and its resize features make it pretty easy to navigate even non-mobile-optimized sites. Far worse is whatever PoS browser lives on my Crackberry. Barely useable that.
    M

Haha GP, I can understand that, I'd probably feel the same way but no choice. The pc I'm on for most of the day has a draconian filter on it.

Mearrin, as I understand it, it's a backend info feed only ... so thete'd be no visible change unless you choose to go through the app. So if you like it in Safari, you'll still see the same thing, not a watered-down mobile version. Also, there's a free version of the client app so that you can see how it renders before you pay $2 for the full functionality.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't even own a regular phone. I'm one of those kind of guys who lives in a cave and is content to let the world go by without me. Just don't eat my flowers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nope to the iDevices, but I will be shifting to a nexus one or its decedent by the end of the year... I have no idea what you'll have to do to make android's browser behave...

On a side note, I've occasionally visited sites on my current phone (samsung solstice, not a "smartphone" but is largeish on the screen and better than average on web support) and this is one of the harder sites to visit on it...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*quickly spits out Ascensions flowers*
    I use my iphone for a lot of things, I wouldn't think twice about getting an app that would access this forum better, like the apps I have for facebook and twitter and who knows what. But this forum is special in the aspect of the maps - Couldn't really imagine really enjoying the maps on a small screen like that, so it would be more like just checking if anyone had replied to a post or such... but it wouldn't hurt
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Any word on this from the admins? Would you be willing to install the plugin guys?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I sometimes access through my wife's ipod touch (iphone without the phone). I'd be willing to help test the functionality
    Not so much for viewing maps, but I occasionally try to keep up on some threads (and i have a pretty good memory of what maps look like, if they're under discussion at the time, heh)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."