Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you draw nation borders?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How do you draw nation borders?

Well, as the title of this thread suggests, I'm wondering how ya'll draw borders on your maps?
    It's something I find to be quite important on a map if there are several nations involved.

It'd be nice to see some examples
    So. How do you?
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean, how do we draw it on the map (colors, style, etc) or how do we place them/put them?

If you mean the latter, historically, national borders often followed geographical features. Rivers, Mountain Chains, Edge of a marsh/swam, coast or lake shore. After that, borders were more fickle, maybe loosely represented as a day's ride from this or that town/castle.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Do you mean, how do we draw it on the map (colors, style, etc) or how do we place them/put them?
    I mean the borders themselves. Do you just draw a line? Do you use dots? Dashes? What kind of markings?
    Pardon for not expressing myself sufficiently in the first post.
    Last edited by Aenigma; 05-13-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

they can also end up being straight if a border is decided by a higher power for the two nations. the example that I think of here is something I vaguely recall about how the Pope divided Brazil between Spain and Portugal and drew a straight border between the two.

I'm not an expert on south american history though, so if someone cares to correct me on this, feel free.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do mine like this (very rough and quick version, mind you):
    1. Start with continent shape.
    2. Draw big color blobs, each color on its own layer.
    3. Delete the first color from all of the other layers, then repeat with the second color, then third, and so on.
    4. Using the continent shape I delete the color outside of the landmass.
    5. Reduce the fill of the layer then add an inner glow.
    6. Using each color layer I make a selection of it, reduce the selection by a little bit, turn it into a path, stroke the path in a slightly darker color, then use the eraser with a wide spacing to cut out the chunks and leave a dashed line look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic a.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	24754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic b.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	24755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic c.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	24756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic d.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	24757  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the map I'm currently working on (Mountain Realms) I haven't gotten around to borders yet - but I'll probably go with dotted lines as they are less obtrusive to the map if I make any, cause some maps don't need borders, by placing cities and natural dividers (rivers, mountain etc) it might be obvious where the border goes ... and sometimes the borders are a little flowing back and forth too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    the map I'm currently working on (Mountain Realms) I haven't gotten around to borders yet - but I'll probably go with dotted lines as they are less obtrusive to the map if I make any, cause some maps don't need borders, by placing cities and natural dividers (rivers, mountain etc) it might be obvious where the border goes ... and sometimes the borders are a little flowing back and forth too
    Nice. I've sometimes mistaken roads for borders on some maps (dashed lines), it's partly because of that, that I asked about the markings of borders in the first place
    Last edited by Aenigma; 05-14-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: grammar

If I use a dashed line or something like that, I always make sure to include a legend to keep things clear. I really like the edge color technique seen on some of Mercator's maps, though:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercator-Hondius-1609-Ottoman_Empire.jpg 
Views:	1192 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	24789
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Default If I were going to do borders...

If I were going to do national borders, which I almost never do, rather have a given region with a defined geographic area and put the Kingdom Name at the Center, then do the same to every other "nation", which means borders are in dispute and only generally known.

However, if I were wanted to place real borders instead, this is how I'd do it, Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0:

1.Determine where the border is supposed to go, then create a line (in this case dashed) to place at the border, then cut the line (to put it in the cache).

2. Next I would "paste in place" the line and convert it to a solid red line (for example) then give it a slightly feathered edge - oh about 4-5 pixels. (In Xara there is a function "paste in place" that lets me copy/cut any object anywhere on my design, then I can "paste in place" meaning the object is pasted back at the same location it was cut, rather than to the center of the design - as with most other apps.)

3. Next I would "paste in place" that same line but convert it to a 0 point line, I would convert the red line into a shape, then combined the 0 point line with the red line shape, to cut it exactly in half. Then delete the bottom half.

4. I would "paste in place" another red line, convert it to a green line, then do the same operation as above; ie: convert to shape, "paste in place" line convert to 0 point, then combine and slice in half. Deleting the top half.

Below are the steps illustrated as a light duty tutorial...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borders1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	24790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borders2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	24791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borders3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	24792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borders4.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	24793  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That's quite awesome I must say, Gameprinter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast