Thread: A Belated Hello

Default A Belated Hello

Good Morning fellow mappers. My name is David, I am 48 and live in Huntsville, AL. I've been cruising this site for a while and decided it was time to make my intro and join the family, as it were. I have a strong CAD background and to this point have done all my mapping either by hand or with CC. I was using CC when it was still written in assembly language and the maps looked like warmed-over crap. I am dying to learn how to render my maps the way some of them look around here. I have GIMP and I've tinkered with it for about 5 years, but nothing more than tinker, so I have a long way to go. I've also downloaded Inkscape and Dungeon Crafter, but I really want to stick it out with the GIMP.

I guess that will do for now. I am really excited to be a part of this community and I am looking forward to all I can learn. I just hope one day I can give as good as I get.
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Thanks for the welcome. This is awesome. I love mapping so I can't say enough about companionship of like-minded individuals. Currently my maps are in CC3 with some sheet effects, but still learning those. I enjoy CC3 quite a bit, so this is no comment on the software, but I really want to migrate to GIMP. I want something more artistic and expressive than I can get out of CC3. I also have this wacky dream of one day putting my world, maps, docs, and all, on the web. When I do, I want it to be all done with open source software. I use OpenOffice.org for all my writing, so if I can get my maps into GIMP, AND do it all within Linux . . . ah such dreams as these. I'm a big fan of open source, so I want to show what can be done with it, ya know?
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Welcome Ilvarin, and I fully support you move to GIMP. I am still quite a noob with the software but man I'll tell you, there is allot you can do with this powerful bit of software. And the fact that it's open source makes it that much more cool. Well, there are some great GIMP mapping walk-through's in the tutorials section, and RobA has come up with a number of really helpful GIMP scripts and plug-ins, so be sure to check those out as well. Well, looking forward to seeing your first WIP.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave