Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer Reccomendations

Guild Applicant

Question Printer Reccomendations

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and I am really impressed by the quality of the work you all post. I'm just starting to play around with making maps, so I've got a long way to go.

But here's my question.

I need to replace my good old Canon MP500 inkjet printer. I use the printer mostly for gaming; player handouts, etc.

What kinds of printers do some of you use and/or recommend?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Good question, Jeffrey, and welcome

I too am in the market for a new printer, I'm interested to see the replies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm definitly no expert, but I do miss the HP K5000 (or something like that) I had some years ago - the colors could be changed separately and it printed A3 (about 2 x letter).. at the moment I only have a normal table top printer, and thats anoying when you want to print maps... need more size... !
    *in scottish accent*... I'm givin ya all the size she can handle captain....

also had a Canon MP500 a year ago - really good... until it broke
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Oh god inkjet printers. Save yourself - run, run I say...

I had an epson and it could not print anything. For about a few months it was perfect but I dont print a great deal and once the heads dried up then it was dead. It had a cartridge with all the inks in it. 6 color total black, CMY and a light B and M I think it was.

So I dumped that and got a Canon IP4200 and it too was superb for a while but it used ink quite fast. It had a replaceable jet head and separate canisters of ink. Two black + CMY. So that was a much better idea but when the ink ran out and I changed cartridges then the replacement cheap reused types didnt come with a chip so I had to take the old chip out and put into the new black plate as per instructions. Fiddly and not recommended. Anyway that has worked but the printer knows and I needed to hold a button in so that it was put into non Canon ink mode (Hmmmmm) so then it printed again but if I left it then the ink would drain away. I.e. it uses ink with no printing. Anyway, cut a long story into an epic... it prints ok now providing you run a lot of copies through it then it starts getting good. Once its good its very good tho.

I had a B&W laser until recently. Would be idle for months. Switch on print - perfect first time every time.

I really hate ink jet printers and all the chipped cartridges lark.

http://reflectionof.me/relative-pric...-liquids-1?c=1

I've got an Epson Photo RX560 which I'm really happy with (it also scans and copies). Found a company on the web that does cheap replacement cartridges. It's about a year and a bit old now, but it's still going strong.

My expertise regards either large format inkjet printers or commercial grade color laser printers - all things that cost over $5000, so I don't know how much help I can offer you. Redrobes mentions the Canon IP4200, I have a Canon IP8100 which prints 44" wide media, and while I highly recommend that - I print lots, everyday really, but then its really more for a commerical need, rather than home use.

My color laser printer is a Xante Illumina, but that lets me print 12 x 18 up to 150# cardstock, which is not for the home user. The newer Ricoh color lasers look pretty good and might be what I go to to replace the Illumina as its getting old...

I've used HP - they sucked, but that was a long time ago and HP has greatly improved since then. I've used EnCAD which nolonger exist, bought out by Kodak, then dumped out of existence. I'd say over the years, I've had the best luck with Canon printers.

Sorry, I don't know the home inkjet market - have always worked with large format or commercial printers, so I can't help you much.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I hate ink-jet printers! I've got an HP PSC 1610 All-In-One printer right now, and this about sums up my feelings on the matter.
    Last edited by arsheesh; 05-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.

What I'd really like is an inkjet that will print on 11x17, don't need anything bigger ... but all of them I can find go from 8.5 in wide to 25 inches wide, with nothing in the middle. Am I looking for a unicorn?

There are a few models of inkjet that handle up to 13x19 out there right now... they tend to be in the $200-$500 range I keep tilling myself I should get one when I've got the money... but then the money always goes to something else...

That said, if you don't need anything bigger than letter, color laser-jet's are nice... but I've had just as much grief with them as most people have with inkjets...

With the exception of professional grade printers (like gamerprinter uses) just remember laser or inkjet printers are the toasters of computer accessories... find one that does what you want... and be prepared to replace it when it breaks in (under 50) 6 months (under 150) 8 months (under 300) 1 year (under 1K) 2-3 years... by the time it breaks, there'll be some printer that does what you want better and something else handy in that same price range anyway...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Missed your post there Redrobes ... I too have a little B&W laser printer that I dearly love.

On a side note, I've never had a toaster die ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast