Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Lazy City

Default Big Lazy City

I've been footling with Drawplus and managed to get this (would take about 30 mins or so now I have the procedure). It uses line styles to put in the buildings (from Alfar's context free file)....It doesn't really bear close inspection (too many small orphan bits), but I'll keep plugging away at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	24809  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

but it does look good from afar.. been thinking alot about how to make these things easy but nice - but I end up as you say, with things that doesn't stand up to close inspection. But this looks really good and with only 30 minutes it would do fine for a quick citymap where you don't need all the details - or as eye candy for a larger region map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Orphan bits or not, I still think you're on to something pretty cool.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's all about relative sizes of roads and squares etc to building size (negative space)....but I'm not quite there yet...but I'm hopeful! (A fool's hope) I always come back to this same old saw at least once a year.

This is looking better (I used a new set of elements for the line style and had them properly square) also carved more minor roads to lessen the 'square island of buildings' effect.

Name:	later render.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	24813  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now that looks like a bunch of clustered city buildings. Lots of lil doodads and doohickeys to break up the straight faces. I like that a lot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow. That's freaking awesome. The first one actually looks kind of cool up close too...maybe the building shapes are odd but with some cleanup it might do for a non-human city or something. I could have saved about a lifetime of work for my CWBP city Argria with this technique you're developing.
    M

It's looking pretty good. I can get variation of building sizes / using different line styles (but only within blocks) on this as well, although I haven't done it here. The second image is with the elements in the line style a little bigger, you lose definition on the streets but the buildings look better.

Name:	big newjack render.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	24814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	njc 10pt render.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	24815  

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Wow. That's freaking awesome. The first one actually looks kind of cool up close too...maybe the building shapes are odd but with some cleanup it might do for a non-human city or something. I could have saved about a lifetime of work for my CWBP city Argria with this technique you're developing.
    M
    life's too short to spend our time rubbing bits out with the eraser.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast