Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Tulan

Wip WIP - Tulan

No rivers or lakes. It's all generated through Photoshop. Earth sized world. What I'm really looking for is land mass and vegetation criticisms. Are the deserts appropriately sized and located? Are there enough plains and forests? Are the mountain clusters too large or too tall? Thanks for your expert advice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tulan.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	847.7 KB 
ID:	24824
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

That's looking nice. Sea shelf seems a bit overstated to me, but otherwise looks good. I'm no expert about the kind of geological and ecological details that you mentioned, so I will not venture to comment there. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If its a 'earth-sized' world, then the mountains may be a bit overstated. For me they need to run more in 'chains' or think of something like a snake skeleton (or something on that order).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The deserts should be centered at the tropics, rather than at the equator; the equator's actually very wet (at least on earth it is).

Desert zone depends on what kind of seasons you want. Seasons depend on axial tilt (well, that or either an eccentric orbit, but let's assume you don't want to get that exotic, or magical considerations, which I assume you're not including), as does the placement of desert zone(s). An equatorial desert belt goes with a zero or near-zero axial tilt, which also means very mild to non-existent seasons. If that's acceptable to you, then you can keep the deserts where they are. If you want more Earth-like conditions, you'll need an Earth-like axial tilt and this will move the desert into two zones off-set from the equator like the Earth has.

Wip Relocated Deserts and reduce mountains

I like seasons and I'd never really connected the tilt with the locations of the deserts. Thinking about it you're right. Here's the adjustment: I also attempted to chain the mountains more. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tulan WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	897.7 KB 
ID:	24842
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That's looking better, at least to my eye. I l also really like your color scheme, by the way.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks pretty nice; I really like the way those mountains look! The only crit I have is to maybe fade the edges of the desert into the surrounding terrain a bit. Right now the boundary between desert and not-desert looks artificial, too straight-line. It's not so apparent on the smaller desert in the southwest or the one on the island, but the two big ones just look off to me.

Overall though, this map rocks.

Wip Borders and Boundaries and Deserts... Oh MY!

I've added a bit. Rivers and lakes look good? Boundaries look good? I admit I'm having more fun than I expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tulan WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	24920  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice borders you've added - did you make them yourself?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast