Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: an attempt at a city

Default an attempt at a city

Here be my latest attempt at making a map. This is the beginning of Laer Ia'Bor, roughly translated it means "White Rock City" or "City of White Rock". In the Dal Lands this city is pretty much the centre of the educational world, housing the great Domma al'Sava (Tower of Knowledge) and the first and only university in the Dal Lands.

The city still has a lot of work needed before completion. A bit is borrowed from tuts posted here, thanks go out to Ascension, Pyrandon and Tamariel (check spelling), but most of it is just made up as I go along. The buildings shown here are still experimental, they will change, I'm aiming for something that looks like buildings, made from stone, yet are not too complicated or grab too much attention from the rest of the map. I'm also still playing around with the land itself, mostly to try and some trees that actually look like trees.

Looking back on it now do i realise just how many buildings I'm going to end up with, so glad I didn't decide to do them all individually.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laer Ia'Bor.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	21916  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can dig it. Looks good so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I agree, very attractive so far, looking forward to watching this one develop.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

I like it, it looks very nice so far and it's an impressive size. Given how big it is, I'd dread having to do all the buildings individually too.

Making some progress, although slowly. Put down all the bases of the common district buildings, know you see where the city got it's name. I'm working on the road plan for the richer district and will then put down the buildings there. All also desturate the bright green land, it was nice to start with but now its too bright.

Next I'm going on a mass map cleanup and then will try to beautify the place. Not sure what to put in the large walled off area on the the eastern cliffs, was supposed to be the "Mount of the Honoured Dead" but it's position is all wrong. I am going to be put in two fortresses, one is "Droma Ia'Bor" (White Rock Keep) which will overlook the opening at the mouth of the bay opposite the walled area, and the second will be the "Jhotan al Sava" (High House of Knowledge) which is a large fortress acaedemy (think hogwarts without the magic) in the large walled off area in the west of the city.

I'm also going to be deleting large swathes of houses to make way for some special houses (key locations, warehouses, etc). Will put up a plan for these on the next map. Still can't make some decent tress though, will post some of my experiments to show you what I got. Also I need help in planning where to place my religious facilities, there needs to be one large grove and a shrine somewhere in the city in a place to be available to as many people as possible. I was thinking of putting it on the small island in the bay but it would be too close to the docks and commercial/industry area in the eastern sector of the city.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laer Ia'Bor.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	21951  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I like the building changes a lot more now, they make it feel like a dense, highly populated city.

The river looks very deep and dramatic! Is it a major feature of your setting?

I like the way your buildings are turning out as well. You would have gone nuts if you had tried to do them individually. I would like to know how you created them as I think they look rather effective.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

@ Aval - The river does play a part in the history of the city, mainly tradewise, and while it is large it's importance is overshadowed by several larger and more prominent rivers in the Dal Lands.

@ Jaxillion - The buildings were painted using the tut done by Talmariel, found here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Town-Map-in-PS . Talmariel's results were a lot cleaner than mine but I used a different set of layer styles, will be trying to use his method again in placing features on top of the buildings e.g, gardens, roofs, etc.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast