Thread: Mountain Village Perspective Map

Wip Mountain Village Perspective Map

OK, so I've been trying to wrap my head around hand-painting a contour map, and I've decided it's time to take a break from that for a while. Maybe an artsy perspective map will get my creative juices flowing.

*Just* started, so not much to look at yet. Basic plan is to draw the ground in perspective, like a traditional painting, and then plot out a 2-d village map onto the earth. Not expecting this to become a big project or anything, but hopefully I'll end up with something pretty.

Painting in Photoshop CS3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perspective.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	24840  

Good idea, I'll do that. So far, it's really only in the rough sketch phase. I'll probably redo the fills on the mountains too.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good beginning, the road makes you wanna .. travel
    looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It's a river! But thanks!

Blog Entries

*lol*... ok.. revision... I like the river it makes me wanna... sail
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Wip

OK, decided to try something new and switch to Illustrator. I pretty much suck at vector art, but I discovered a few watercolor brushes in Illustrator that worked really well for what I want. My goal is to have the background be similar to the traditional Korean mountain perspective paintings. I'll see if I can find some reference images later to show you all what I mean.

Let me know what you think. Does this look better than the original rough sketch done in Photoshop? I'm still in the initial stages here, so I'm open to making drastic changes. Oh, and I know the hills in the foreground are too dark, but it's late now, so I figured I'd post what I've done so far for a little feedback.

One more question: How would I go about getting this thread changed to the regional/world mapping forum? I'm going to change my direction, had an idea about how I can tie this into another map I wanna do. There's still gonna be a village, but it's going to be portrayed as a small slice of a region.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oriental-Mountains.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	24896  

Here's some links to traditional Korean paintings of mountains:

http://english.cri.cn/725/2005/10/13/168@24577.htm

http://www.orientaloutpost.com/prodd...prod=1ls68-u10

http://ieas.berkeley.edu/events/2006.10.16.html

This one's Chinese, but done in a similar style: http://www.china-cart.com/bookpic/20...0631723938.jpg

I want my mountains to resemble these, but further away, in the distance. The perspective of the map is from a tower-top in the lowlands, looking towards the mountains. The map will portray the various farming settlements along the river. I will eventually have a scale running up the right hand side of the picture (working out the correct distances for the scale will be a pain, I know!).

This map will be very basic, more of an artistic portrayal with a few mapping elements mixed in. This is meant to portray the culture of the people who live in this river valley (I haven't decided exactly who they are yet, but there are obviously some Oriental overtones. Maybe elves or something?). My next map will be a more technologically advanced one -- a detailed topo map made by the dwarves who live in those mountains! Eventually, I hope to have a collection of various maps of the entire continent, portraying different styles for different cultures, that would fit well in a fantasy RPG setting.

Blog Entries

not bad - but did like the cleaner look better, especially on the river...
    regs tilt

I agree about the river, and will be changing it later. Also, the horizon should lie at the top of those dark hills, and not where the white space ends.

I'm still unsure whether I like this new version or not. The mountains look too big! Maybe I can find some way to do a mix of the two styles? Hrmmm.... Back to Photoshop, perhaps!