Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fastest town in the west

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good, man. Not sure you ended up with those black shapes on some of the roofs, though. I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce that and then figure out how to eliminate them. Otherwise, it's a good quick little thing totally meant as a stop-over place while adventuring. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A lot of the brush settings aren't in GIMP... so your random buildings aren't gonna work for that... just about everything else can be recreated though...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Yeah but Gimp has image pipes so there's a trade-off. If Adobe ever got around to making a dedicated art program instead of the catch-all that PS is they'd better damn well put image pipes in it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Nice tut. Here's my attempt. Didn't quite get the same look as you but I like it. I just took the buildings where they lay but some judicious editing during the process would have improved the map some...and some of my roads enclosed areas that were too small to receive buildings (path there went away).
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	town.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	651.7 KB 
ID:	25014  

Good stuff, man. Once you get used to the process and memorize it then it can take 5 minutes to do by hand or you could turn it into an action (after roads are drawn) and have it take 30 seconds. Here's what I'm currently working based on this tut, the only thing that I drew were the road structure, and I used the Pen tool to help me there, and the river...everything else is automated. This one isn't nearly as fast because I'm trying to emulate a hand draw look without drawing anything so I'm experimenting a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fast town 3.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	25015  

Nice. Love the sketchy look you've got for the road border.
    M

fantastic tutorial - exactly what I was looking for
    Last edited by mixx; 05-24-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks pretty good, man. Not sure you ended up with those black shapes on some of the roofs, though. I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce that and then figure out how to eliminate them. Otherwise, it's a good quick little thing totally meant as a stop-over place while adventuring. Good job.
    Yeah I'm not sure how that happens, honestly I may have missed a step or gazed over something quick. This helped me a lot in a session on saturday night, I had the PC's end up at a town I had never fleshed out before. I told them it was snack time took 5 minutes and boom town.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good stuff, man. Once you get used to the process and memorize it then it can take 5 minutes to do by hand or you could turn it into an action (after roads are drawn) and have it take 30 seconds. Here's what I'm currently working based on this tut, the only thing that I drew were the road structure, and I used the Pen tool to help me there, and the river...everything else is automated. This one isn't nearly as fast because I'm trying to emulate a hand draw look without drawing anything so I'm experimenting a lot.
    I am brand new here... but I gotta ask, how did you do those buildings? Thats my biggest issue right now are buildings (are they a brush?). Also, the border for the roads and streets... ?

The buildings are covered in the tut. The road strokes I forget cuz it's been a while. It has something to do with creating a selection of the roads, putting a stroke on that selection, then make a random clouds layer, select the white (or black), remove the clouds, hit the delete key. Repeat the process for the next line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast