Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Dominion of the Elders of Sorres

Much better with less villages, but perhaps you have deleted too much? In the agricultural rich areas the villages could be a bit more crowded, otherwise the placement is good. Great job so far!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    I can't put villages any closer to the cities or towns than they are now. I've put a limit of 3 miles which is the closest that a village can be to a city except in specific circumstances. My current scale is 40 pixels = 1 mile so some of the villages are a little close already.
    Ah - there is no scale on the map - so I thought there were further between them. That being said, the hamlet I live in is about 1 km (,667 miles) away from the town center, and within 3 miles I guess (in ancient times) there would have been 4-5 hamlets and perhaps 2 larger hamlets. Its pretty much a question about people building a house where its practical and more houses shooting up until you have a hamlet. This can happen because of good areas for farming or pastures or just because some special feature is present. Where I live its pretty obvious that this hamlet began with some spread out farms, then came a church, then came the houses...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Okay, put down the actual villages but still checking for more logical placement for villages. I'm also going back and revising the look of the towns, they look a little too "blobby", pics to come soon.

A question on farming though, how far out from a settlement would farms extend, I want them to look natural but not take up all of the space, some spaces across The Gift would be reserved for livestock and farmers wouldn't dare plant farms around the shrines of land spirits, that's how problems start.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

A poor farmer had perhaps 2-3 Ha (1 Hectare = 100 x 100 meter = 2.47105 acres) a rich up to about 40. Then you just have to calculate
    A normal farmer would, in addition to his corn fields probably have a couple of cows, hens etc so he could support all his families needs in addition to paying taxes to his Lord.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

So if I had farms branching between 1 and 2 miles out from a village would that be natural?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

I think that would be perfectly natural, and even further would also be possible in some cases as all farms don't lie close the to village, and their farmland can stretch out far from the farm.
    regs tilt

Okay, here is an update.

I've put down more villages and put in the first draft of the farmland. The map still seems to be lacking something, other than the decorative features like scale, border, etc. The farm texture was provided by Bambua aqnd all credt goes to him for creating it.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Dominion of Sorres WIP.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	25262  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

looking really good nice work
    regs tilt

Where is the light coming from? The shadows are very inconsistent. Some mountains are shadowed on the south side, for example, while others are shadowed on the north side.

The light is coming from the southeast. All the lighting effects are handled by the computer and the mountains are built up in layers which could causing some anomalies in the lighting but it should all be correct.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast