Thread: Map of Central Falamar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Map of Central Falamar

Program: Photoshop CS4, Fractal Mapper
    Font: Endor (regional names)

I started this map about 4 years ago. I used Fractal Mapper to get the general layout of the land and then imported the image over to Photoshop and worked on it from there. For the land topography, I used a relief picture I found somewhere online, US Geological Survey I think. I've played with this map so much, the PSD file has probably over a hundred layers to it by now. Anyhow, some people thought I should post it over here so here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small central falamor map.JPG 
Views:	356 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	24865  

I like the colors and most of the elements. The rivers have a look I don't like. They look more like big tubes than rivers to me. Also, the river system is pretty crazy. Rivers that go nowhere without apparent reason, lakes with multiple outflows, rivers connecting what appear to be ocean on both sides... you should read http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place. The names are good and the labels mostly very nice, although the red lettering and the sea doesn't seem to be interacting well. Have you got an effect around the text there? The water just around the text looks bad if you look closely.

A nice map, though some of the rivers are a bit strange (I've myself been shot in the head by the river police since; "a river never ever goes from one sea to another" they said)

I like the fact that most of the text is easy to read and I like the choice of colours.
    Last edited by Aenigma; 05-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice map - as rd said the rivers look like tubes - and if I'm correct you've used a bevel for them - so go into the layer effects and change the bevel direction from up to down - and you'll have that fixed easy. The violations you'll have to go over one by one though
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    nice map - as rd said the rivers look like tubes - and if I'm correct you've used a bevel for them - so go into the layer effects and change the bevel direction from up to down - and you'll have that fixed easy. The violations you'll have to go over one by one though
    The inset/outset is just an illusion. It depends on where you expect the lighting to come from. If you expect it from the upper left then this looks like it is bumped out. If you expect it to come from the lower right then it is inset.

It seems more people use upper left as the light source (or expect it, anyway) which is funny on a map representing a world, as light would only be in the North for southern hemisphere maps

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The inset/outset is just an illusion. It depends on where you expect the lighting to come from. If you expect it from the upper left then this looks like it is bumped out. If you expect it to come from the lower right then it is inset.

It seems more people use upper left as the light source (or expect it, anyway) which is funny on a map representing a world, as light would only be in the North for southern hemisphere maps

-Rob A>
    Youre so wise in the ways of rivers Rob ... and you're absolutely right - we tend to expect the light to come from the upper left corner - I guess its human nature *lol* ... BUT, if you concider the mountains' and forrest's shadows - the light is comming from *drum roll* upper left corner
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you for the replies. This was my first attempt at doing a map on PS. I'm still not happy with the way the rivers came out and something I'm still playing around with. Moving the light direction I didn't think about though so I will have to try that and see how it comes out.

As for the forest, I used a layer effect to do it but I don't recall off the top of my head. It looks better zoomed out. When you zoom in it doens't look as good. Something else I've been playing with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Youre so wise in the ways of rivers Rob ... and you're absolutely right - we tend to expect the light to come from the upper left corner - I guess its human nature *lol* ... BUT, if you concider the mountains' and forrest's shadows - the light is comming from *drum roll* upper left corner
    Caught me there!

-Rob A>

Hey Lucas, glad you decided to post your work here after all. I really like the forest texture that you are using. Nice color palette, and the font is great as well. Hope you continue to contribute to the Guild. Oh, and here's a bit of rep for your first finished map post.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh