Thread: Introducing myself

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Introducing myself

Hello all. I've come into fantasy cartography in a way similar to many--through tabletop roleplaying games. I've been a reader of sci-fi and fantasy since I was just a whippersnapper, and playing D&D (and other games) since I was around 12. That's 30 years of my life. I've been making hand-drawn maps ever since. Lately, though, I've been playing around with using software to make maps instead of drawing them by hand. I've watched some of the Zombie Nirvana "Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop" videos, and by adapting the techniques to Gimp have started learning how to make much more artistic maps. I've also recently been working with Fractal Mapper, and the other products by NBOS. The only bad thing about using mapping software is, it takes a while to learn the ropes. The learning curve is a lot steeper and longer for this than it was for drawing by hand. I know the end result will be worth it, but it's been a bit frustrating.

So let's see...map-making is one of a couple of ways I exercise the small amount of artistic talent I have. I found this site doing web searches on "fantasy cartography". I hope to explore the resources here and learn a lot. Perhaps eventually I'll know enough to pass something along to some other member along the way.

Cheers,
    wisemoon

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild wisemoon, first off, you'll find a lot old guys like yourself in here so theres good company there allready
    second, this is probably one of the best communities on the web - and I'm not kidding, so post your maps, even if you've only drawn a single line and get lots of good advice from your fellow cartographers - and have fun
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild Wisemoon. Tilt is right, this is one of the best communities on the web, so feel free to ask questions and seek help from others (when needed) with impunity. Since you already have some software in hand, the Tutorials section is a great place to begin browsing. There are many GIMP tutorials therein (I'm not sure about Fractal Mapper); in fact, I think ZombieNirvana has some GIMP Tuts as well. Another good idea is to throw up a current WIP map; that way you can receive helpful feedback from the Guild. Look forward to seeing your first map post.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave