Thread: 1st Map Ever -- A Couple of Water Questions

Default 1st Map Ever -- A Couple of Water Questions

Using the ZombieNirvana tutorials, this map is the first I ever created in Photoshop. In fact, it's my first exposure to PS. Prior to this, I was using CCII.

Two questions:

* His method for water lines produces lines that seem a bit heavy for a map of this scale (the tutorial is for a city map). Suggestions?

* What methods would you suggest for inland lakes and rivers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner_East_Coast.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	24887  
    Last edited by Steel General; 05-18-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sorry - can't see your map - the attachment doesn't work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Fixed, I think.

Blog Entries

yep - now I can see it, and I agree, those lines are way to heavy for that map. There has to be balance between land and sea. For lakes etc I would do them with the same line you use for the mountains, anything heavier and they will stand out to much, then you can add thin water lines to show its a lake
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Blog Entries

oh.. and good work for your first photoshop experience and have some rep for your first upload
    regs tilt

I like it. It's completely different from anything I've ever done before, but it makes me want to try making something similar. Don't think my first experiments with PS were as good as that!

You might want to change your cities, though. The symbol for Cyrilsport fits the map way better than the small houses you used for the other towns. So I'd stick to symbols, but it's just pesonal preference

Aelyn: I agree on the cities. I initially went with the houses as representing smaller towns, mostly because I didn't want to create a new layer for every single settlement. But I'll make something work.

I re-uploaded the file. See the original post.

I'm a little concerned about the look of the inland lakes. Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by T. Azimuth Schwitters; 05-18-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Blog Entries

the ocean is much better now, which makes a calmer map .. I think the lakes should have the thin lines, and reuse the ocean lines in them, only in a thinner version
    regs tilt